Lilypie

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Post-Exam Reflection

At last it is over! I can finally breathe a sign of relief, whew! Many thanks and appreciation to all those who have wished me good luck for the exam, because I really really needed that! The paper consisted of nine questions, of which we were told to answer three. I was only able to answer two correctly, the final question was answered rather haphazardly I think.

People said that it does not matter, as long as I can pass or tried my best. But now it is not a matter of passing. It is a matter of scoring. Where will I be if everybody else is able to score but I only had a mere pass? That was where I came in in the first place, why I took up this course, as it is my final chance to score, not just a mere pass again.

I was a bit nervous during the exam. Firstly the room we were in was like the Arctic - cold and freezing. The air-conditioning was probably turned to the lowest (or highest, depending on how one sees it). And my place happened to be right below the air duct, which was blowing the cold freezing air on me all the time.

All the previous times I took examinations, we were either at the main hall which was not air-conditioned, or else in a classroom where the air-conditioning was just right. This was the first time I took a paper at such cold conditions! Needless to say, before I even started writing, my fingers were frozen and it was so hard to write!

One thing about me which everyone noticed is that I tend to finish the paper fast and leave the room early. For instance, in a three hour paper, I was normally able to finish within two and half hours. Then I would spend the final hour or so checking and amending. Normally this could be done within half an hour or so, and then I would submit the paper and leave.

Every examination it was like this. Be it secondary, post-secondary, tertiary, whichever subject. And it was not as if I did not write a lot. In fact, some questions I could write for five pages or more! I even used up two to three booklets at times! And it was not as if I started writing the moment the exam started.

I took about fifteen minutes or so to look through the questions, wrote some points in relation to the various questions, thought about which question(s) I could best handle, decided which questions to answer, formulate the essay structure, then started writing. It was just that whenever I answer exam questions, I would keep going from the first letter of the first question to the last full stop of the last question. By the time I finally put down my pen, there was still some time to spare and I could then take my time to check through for grammatical errors, or anything else to add.

A few classmates did ask me before why I left the room so early. I told them that once the paper had been completed, and checked through, and nothing else to add, just submit. Why wait? I could use the extra time to revise the other papers, or to just relax. Besides, in most cases, I needed to use the restroom after that. Last night I could no longer bear the coldness, so left once I finished checking the paper.

I do feel nervous though, especially when I have finished the paper and others were still scribbling vigorously. Sometimes I wonder do they really have that many things to write about? Have there been things I missed out? Have I missed any point? Was I on the right track at all? But all these worries were mostly unfounded, because when the results came out most of the time I managed to do okay. Not the best, but at least not the worst.

Maybe that is the difference between a A student and a B / C student - the former will stay on in the exam hall and continue scribbling, writing whatever that comes into their minds, more than what the question requires. The latter will be the one that answers to the point, then leaves the venue early. Perhaps I should start being like the former, then maybe I can finally achieve some As for once.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...