Lilypie

Sunday, May 13, 2007

DVD Encodings ....

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mothers in the world! Mothers are the greatest thing to ever happen to anyone, but a pity many people take for granted. I have learnt to appreciate my mum more recently, and realise that although she did a lot of things which I never quite agree with, but in the end she was the one who stuck by me when I run into any trouble, not anyone else. And a mother's love is unconditional. No matter what you have done, the mother will never give up on you. That is true love, and unconditional love.

I am getting confused over the regional coding of DVD players. Nowadays when I buy DVDs, there is always a warning to ensure that the DVD is of the correct coding. Apparently, Region 1 is for United States, Region 2 Europe, Region 3 Asia, and so on. Most of the time I need not worry because the DVD players at my home is Region 1.

Recently my uncle gave us a DVD player. And it turned out to be another Region, 2 or 3. The instructions are in German but the player is able to play Hong Kong shows, but not Hollywood movies. So all the DVDs I have on Hollywood movies can only be played on the player in the living room or my mum's room. Troublesome indeed, as each time when I do want to watch something, my brother will watch another show downstairs, and my mum will watch her show in her room.

What is the use of all these encoding anyway? Why can the players not be made universal, able to play discs from every region? After all, the DVDs we buy from stores and online are mostly encoded Region 1. So if the player is encoded with another region, then there will be many discs that cannot be played and a lot of movies that cannot be watched. It may not be a big deal to many people, but to me, I much rather be able to play movie discs on any player I have.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

That's because the publishing industry believes that we do not actually own the content that we bought.

We are just "licensed" to use them, and hence can only enjoy the content at their whim. For example, they are already trying to make it impossible for us to play the content that we bought using, let's say, our friend's player.

To them, customers ideally should be buying one content license for every player they want to view the contents by. Just like a software.

juphelia said...

That is so ridiculous! We are (at least for me) already buying original discs, not pirated ones, and still restricted to watch them?! Not everyone can afford more than one original, and besides, a DVD can last for quite a while, no sense buying another one exactly the same.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...