Lilypie

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Intense Competition And Faster Pace Of Living

My youngest brother did not make university. Or rather, he did not manage to make the course(s) he wanted. With his grades (Bs and Cs, no Ds), and fifty points above the cut-off for the SAT, he was still not able to make the course(s) he wanted. All three universities did not reply to him for the Business, Finance, Economics and Accounting courses. The only course that was offered was in Building and Real Estate, which he had no interest and only put it down as his last choice to take up the choices.

Scary! Is it so hard to enter a tertiary institution nowadays? There are more now as compared to in the past, and still not able to make it to any?! But I guess that cannot be helped, especially with the numerous youngsters nowadays who are so exam-smart and can score perfect scores without battling an eyelid. In light of the competition, it is not much of a surprise if someone with not many As was not selected. I thought it was hard enough ten years back during my time, so I must say, it must have been really lucky for me to be able to enter a tertiary institution and into the course(s) I wanted.

Competition is getting more intense lately. The pace of life is getting more and more stressful. Nowadays, nothing counts if one does not have the relevant qualifications, or graduate from a certain university, or whether one is a scholar or non-scholar. Is it any wonder then that so many are leaving for better pastures overseas? Just like the new immigrants who come here to have a better life, just as many of us are migrating to escape all the stress and high expenses of living in order to have a better life.

I have friends who moved to Australia, America and Canada, and they are enjoying themselves. My uncle in Sydney is the sole breadwinner, yet they can stay in a house just like mine, and each of my cousins has his own car. My friend sold off her flat and car and moved to Canada, and she is able to afford a decent house and two cars with less than the price of a flat here. Down here, many people work their lives away, and not even able to afford a landed property or more than one car!

Perhaps when the time comes, I may migrate. But then, I will miss my family and friends too much to be away for a long time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...