Lilypie

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Independence Day Performance

Happy National Day to one and all! This island is now forty-two years of age. Forty-two years of independence. My parents still remember the nation's struggle for independence, but since this was way before I was born, the only things I do know about nationalisation can only be found in books.

I caught the National Day Parade live on television in the evening. As this year's parade was held at Marina Bay waterfront, a much smaller area than the National Stadium or Padang, my mum was only able to get one ticket for the preview, not the parade itself, and since my first brother wanted to go, she gave him the ticket.

Somehow this year's show seems more spectacular than previous years. Can it be because the stage is on the water, thus more room for creativity, since there are more things one can do using water? Or can it be because the songs seem better and more melodious, instead of the usual tackier ones? Or can it also be because the venue itself is new, so the experience and atmosphere is new too?

Whatever it is, I enjoyed the performance. Even though I watched it only on screen and not live (lucky those who managed to witness the live parade!), I find the celebration full of zest and patriotism. And this is one of the few moments I feel proud to be a citizen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...