Lilypie

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Switching Church (Again)

I am switching church (again). Unlike some other Christians who have to stick to the same church they got baptised in, we Catholics are more "free", ie we can go to any Catholic church in the country (and the world). We need not stick to the same church all the time, because the sermons and liturgies will be the same at every church.

I have switched quite a few churches. The first church I attended was Holy Family Church, when my cousin-godma first brought me there all those years ago. Then I went there with my classmates, as that is the main church for those attending my school.

When I met my first ex, I went to his church (which for the life of me I could not remember the name). Anyway, I was there only for a short while. When I met my second ex, I went to his church, Holy Trinity, and for the next seven years or so, we divided our time between Holy Trinity Church (near his place, just a fifteen-minute walk) and Holy Family Church (near my place, three bus stops away), except for the occasional visits to the Church of Sts Peter and Paul (central area) and the Church of St Alphonsus (Novena Church).

When I was with my third ex, to accommodate him, I chose a church near his area. So I started attending the Church of the Holy Cross. After the end of that relationship, my friend (the sponsor of my baptism classes) asked my help in conducting his church choir, so I went across the island to the Church of St Francis of Assisi.

Then it was the Church of St Teresa, where I got baptised and confirmed. After that, I divided my time between the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour (ten minute's walk from my place) and Holy Family Church (again). When I joined St Mary's Choir early this year, I attended the Sunday evening masses at Holy Family Church, which the choir sings for.

So why am I switching church again? Firstly, I am finding it more and more difficult to sing for Sunday evening masses, as the timing is a bit odd. I find myself attending morning masses more and more often lately.

Secondly, I went by the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd (the oldest Catholic church here) the other day, saw the renovated church and started to be attracted to it. It still looks quaint and the old architecture was retained, but it now has a fresh coat of paint and not such an eyesore anymore. People who know me know just how I love old buildings, especially those with a rich sense of history and heritage.

Thirdly, it has a very good choir, so good that almost everyone in the Catholic community knows about the choir and the choir master. The Cathedral Choir of the Risen Christ is the resident choir for midnight masses, as well as being asked to perform for other festivals. The choir is so good that they even get to perform overseas!

Again, people who know me know I will get drawn to places with strong and good music, especially in singing! Besides, the choir sings for Sunday morning mass, which is a perfect timing for me. I can go for mass and listen to the choir at the same time, hopefully one day I can become a member as well, who knows? Wonder if I am good enough?

Fourthly, this is the church where the current and former Archbishops preach. And it is an honour listening to their sermons. Afterall, their sermons must be inspiring, otherwise they could never be the archbishops of this country already.

Fifthly, the guy's church is near where the Cathedral is, and since we are meeting every weekend, it is easier for both of us to attend churches in the same area, thus more convenient to meet up. Of course, this is just part of the factor, but not the whole reason.

The main reasons are two and three above. Attending a church in an old and quaint building (a real church building, unlike the modern churches), hearing a good choir, learning Latin hymns and masses and listening to the sermons of the Head of the Catholic churches... where can I find a better deal?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...