Lilypie

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Job Offer

On Monday, I took some time off to go for a job interview. The company interviewing me is a multi-national corporation listed in three countries, supplying information technology support systems to leading hotels around the world, including my company’s hotels and resorts. So they are kind of like our vendors.

I thought the interview was just okay, nothing impressive. So imagine my surprise when I received a call from my headhunter that the General Counsel wanted to see me today! He is based in Hong Kong, and is here for a week, so he stays at one of the hotels. Imagine my discomfort when he told me to meet him at his hotel at eight in the morning, but later clarified that he would be meeting me at the lobby instead.

So we had a nice chat over tea and breakfast. I managed to make it back to my office on time. An hour later, I received a call from my headhunter, telling me that the company is willing to offer me the job with a twenty percent increase in monthly remuneration! Wow, I can hardly believe my ears!

This could not come at a better time! The tourism and hospitality industry has been badly hit by the economic crisis around the world, coupled with the recent swine flu going around, so we are now being hit twice as badly.

Furthermore, I received a big white envelope a few days back, stating the unpaid leave scheme with effect from May. In other words, if I remain in this company, I will be having three days unpaid leave every month, but three days (equivalent to ten percent) pay deducted every month too! So it is a good time to move!

I have been given up to tomorrow to confirm the acceptance of the offer, but I think I will do so. I have dreaded going to work for the past half year, which culminates into sluggishness and a sense of frustration for the past two months. There is a difference between someone who enjoys the work and who does not.

I enjoy the work but I hate the working environment. Even then, projects have been frozen, so things are dying down, thus what I am handling now are but mundane stuff which does not challenge me anymore. In the new company, I will be one of a team of six, which means more work and more challenge! And people know I always crave for challenge!

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Juphelia,

Congrats! I hope this will be the start of new and wonderful things in your career!

juphelia said...

Thank you very much! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...