Lilypie

Friday, April 3, 2009

Turn-Off Speech

I received an email from someone full of grammatical and spelling errors. In fact, the whole email was full of instant messaging and texting abbreviations, with bad spelling, punctuation and grammar! People know things like these rile me, perhaps due to my occupation.

The thing is, I am not so mindful about abbreviations. I am totally fine using "u" and "i", or "reli" and "tot" or "tok". But that is only after I am pretty familiar with the person I am talking to, then we use this to banter and chat on familiar and comfortable grounds. After all, once you know a person pretty well, you can be all informal with each other!

But if the person wrote to you for the first time, then there should be some form of formality, is it not? For instance, I received the email from the guy, who wrote to me for the first time. Be it knowing me as a client or a friend, if he is using an email to convey his message, but it only turns me off, then it defeats all purpose.

And it is not as if he is that young! He should be about my age or thereabouts! The thing is if I receive an email like this, my first impression is that he simply cannot be bothered to present himself properly. In that case, why must I entertain him and give him the attention if he is not even polite enough to convey his message in a proper way?

Alright, I know I am picky, but good language equates to good communication, and good communication equates to creating a good impression. It shows that someone is poised, refined, and bothers about how he / she treats others, instead of a lax attitude that turns people off. Definitely if I am to talk to anyone, I tend to talk to the former instead of the latter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...