Lilypie

Friday, April 3, 2009

Turning Industrial Engineer ....

Sometimes I really wonder what I am doing at work. I seem to be doing everything else except what is in my job scope! The latest - I have turned industrial engineer! What happens is that the company is supposed to rent another building somewhere to move some of the departments over. But things were delayed, and when the third quarter ended, the company decided to cut cost, thus no one was to move.

Hence, some meeting and storage rooms were converted into work stations and the respective departments moved in. Because of this, when I was drafting the tenancy renewal a few weeks back, I had to take into account the space taken by the new departments. However, since no one wanted to supply me with a site plan or accurate plans, I ended up measuring the area myself!

Armed with a retractable tape measure, I asked one of the office attendants to help me. We measured the length and breadth of the room, plus any other extensions. To ensure accuracy, we did the whole process twice. Then I used the measurements and multiplied them to find the area, before finally converting the square centimetres into square feet.

I do not think I did a good job though. Firstly, this is not my area of expertise, thus I will have no idea how to go about really measuring every nook and cranny to get a more accurate measurement. What I did was just to measure the general length and breadth.

Secondly. it was hard to reach those dark corners, plus the rooms were not empty, so we had to go under and at the side of cupboards and desks, which makes things more difficult as I do not think the measurements will be that accurate due to that.

Third, the retractable measuring tape is limited. So at times, we have to measure the first half of the room, then go to measure the second half of the room, but we were not sure if we put the measuring tape exactly on the spot where the first half stopped.

Still, I did whatever I could. If those people do not even bother to find out the exact measurements, they jolly well have to make do with my measurements, as I sure am not going to measure the whole place again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...