Lilypie

Monday, May 10, 2010

Appealing Against The Appeal ...

I wonder if educational institutions are really about caring for the welfare for the students or are they just rigid machines sticking to rules and regulations?

I submitted one of my final assignments recently. Our assignments are no longer in hardcopy but submitted in soft copy through the web portal.

When I was about to submit, the whole system was down. Because of the pressing deadline, I sent the whole assignment to my tutor via email. At the same time, I tried submitting my assignment via the web portal, but it was three days later that I finally managed to access it and submit my assignment online.

So I sent an email to the Student Relations, telling them my problem and forwarding the email which I sent my tutor with the assignment enclosed, for their information. The next thing I knew, they replied me five days later, saying the system noticed I submitted late, hence a penalty had been imposed.

They appealed for me to call the hotline and make an appeal. So I called the hotline, but the line was either busy or I was put on hold. I tried calling for the next three days without avail. Finally, I sent another email, enclosing proof that I did submit the assignment on time.

When I checked my results, I actually got an A for this assignment! But due to the penalty, it dropped to a C! So unfair! I wrote a strongly worded email about how I did submit my assignment on time, how the system was down, how I sent an email enclosing proof of submission but no one got back to me, and I find it unfair to be penalised because of this as it is not as if I deliberately submitted it late.

So finally, someone wrote back and sent me a form, saying normally they do not take appeals, but since my case is quite special, they are willing to let me appeal. Hence they sent me an Appeal Form, asking me to fill in, and then I would have to submit the form with S$35.00, which would still be subjected to approval.

I was like, what?! I need to pay S$35.00 just to get back my A?! Is this really for the student's benefit or the school's benefit? Why did they make it so troublesome just to appeal in genuine circumstances?

Hence I am still appealing. If need be, fine, I will pay the money, but if I still do not get back my appropriate grade, I am going to send another strongly worded appeal to them! And probably speak to the Dean too!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comments:

Julie Lim said...

A to C just because of a glitch? I think that's too much. Sorry to hear bout your predicament. Hope everything will get sorted out soon.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...