Lilypie

Sunday, January 1, 2006

Farewell .... My Most Respected

I should be rejoicing upon welcoming the new year, but I cannot. I just received news that my music teacher, one of the few people I really respected and has made such a big impact on my life, passed away on the last day of the old year. Her husband gave me the news when I sent her a new year's greeting. She was not even forty years of age!

When I read the message, I was just totally stunned. All thoughts of staying up the whole night and having my own mini-party flew out of my mind. I started to remember her not just as a teacher, but as an elder sister, a close friend, a confidante.

She was my teacher when I first started learning music, all those years ago. No matter how the class and timing changed, I stuck with her, even when the rest of my music classmates started changing teachers and dropping out. In fact, me and the rest of my classmates were her first students, as she just completed her training when she took our class.

She was the one who recognised my interest to perform, so always sent me for competitions and performances. During those periods, she would personally train me, and even put in extra time with no extra charge. She always encouraged me not to give up, even when for a period of time my parents almost made me drop music to concentrate on my studies.

As a young child, I looked upon her as a well-respected teacher; as a teenager, I looked upon her as an elder sister and confided in her on certain things; as an adult, I looked upon her as a close friend, a devoted wife and mother, and a dedicated teacher. I told her my problems with my parents, my relationships, my students, and she never failed to lend a listening ear and dish out advice.

I attended her wedding, and visited her when she gave birth. There were times when I even went to her place to use her musical instruments, especially in those intensive weeks leading to major music examinations when all the music studios would be fully booked. She would let me
practice for hours without interference, and never bothered me unless I needed her to comment on a certain piece.

Then in 2003, she was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. When I heard the news, I really prayed hard and hoped she would recover soon. I visited her when she was discharged from the hospital. For the past two years, she was battling with her cancer and chemotherapy treatments, until early this year (last year actually), I received a message from her saying that she was in remission. That was good news and I was really happy for her!

Alas, she was called home to be with the Lord on the fated day - the last day of the year. She never lived to witness the coming of the new year. As I type this with tears in my eyes, I feel so sad for her husband and daughter, both of whom were very devoted to her.

Farewell ..... my friend. You will always be remembered, for all the things you taught me, all the advice you gave me, everything you have done. I would never have achieved certain things if it was not due to you. I never had the chance to say this, but I really thank you for everything from the bottom of my heart. May you rest in peace and watch over us at a better place.

2 comments:

Goy said...

I feel quite sorry about it. My deepest condolences...

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks....

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...