Lilypie

Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Confessions Of A Vain Pot ....

Few days ago when I was flipping through one of those female magazines I read, there was an article entitled “Confessions of a Cosmetic Addict”. The author of the article stated how she ran out of concealer and lipstick, and had no time to buy, so in the end, she had to go out of her house wearing sunglasses and a scarf over her head, so no one would see her without any makeup.

Sometimes when I read the extent some people go to, I feel like laughing. But it is rude to laugh at others, considering I am also a vain pot. Just like the girl in the article, she said she felt so naked without any makeup on her face, I, too, will never step out of my house without at least applying lip gloss and moisturiser as the bare minimum. Of course when I go to the office, I need to apply the full makeup for a professional executive look.

Considering I only discovered makeup at the age of eighteen and started really applying makeup after graduation, I seem to have come quite far. I remember at one church Christmas concert where I was dancing as an angel, I was supposed to have all the gold dust and heavy makeup applied on my face, and I did not even know how to put on face powder! I was already eighteen, yet I had to wait for someone to apply makeup on me!

That Christmas, someone gave me my first makeup kit, and I called my best friend to come over and gave me a crash course on how to apply. Never again would I be embarrassed at not knowing how to put on makeup when I was already that age. Through the years, I attended various makeup courses, and through practice, at least managed to improve a bit (although not to perfection yet). At least for the last major performance at the Esplanade, I was able to put on my own makeup, and helped some of my friends too!

Nowadays, girls as young as ten already know how to apply makeup. When I brought my students out for a choir performance, they wanted to touch up on their face powder and lipsticks, and those upper primary girls could really apply makeup, even better than me! And they knew to help the younger girls to apply too. Wonder where they learnt their skills from?

I never bothered really dressing up in the past, as I always thought people should take you at face value instead of how well you look or dress. Then later I realise that first impressions do count, and if one dresses and looks like a slob, it will be ingrained in people’s minds that you are probably one, and can never be trusted to do anything of a higher-level. No doubt it is unfair and shallow to just judge people like this, but once someone has a negative first impression of others, normally they will get rather prejudiced at that person.

So since then, every time I meet someone for the first time, I make sure I am well-dressed and presentable-looking enough. And so, the habit became so in me that whenever I go out, I must wear something decent and apply makeup. Sometimes my mum scolded me for being so vain, as she always sees me applying lip gloss whenever we went out, even if it was just to my grandma’s place or a little cosy family meal.

I have heard feedback that guys will be attracted to you only if you are sophisticated looking enough. Yet I heard other feedback that if the guy really loves you, he would not mind how you look like. But in the first place, to get the guy to even notice you, the girl must be rather pleasant in appearance and not a slob, is it not?

Some guys prefer the girls to wear just light makeup, whereas other guys would only like to see the girl at her prettiest. Some guys complain that if the girl has makeup on, it is hard to kiss, whereas other guys have no qualms having lip stick all over. So I guess it all boils down to what the guy likes.

For me, I will feel a bit out of sorts if I go out with a bare face, so the guy I end up with next time has to just accept it if he gets lip gloss or lip stick all over when he kisses me, because essentially I like to look good, not just for my guy, but more for myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

But in the first place, to get the guy to even notice you, the girl must be rather pleasant in appearance and not a slob, is it not?

Not necessarily so. Imagine in a room full of girls who are pleasant in appearance (Is it Heaven? Heh), but for one who looks like a slob.

I'll definitely notice the latter. :>

She dares to be different among the rest and that itself is already an attraction.

shakespeareheroine said...

Perhaps. But in the first place, I dun think it's that possible to be in a room full of attractive girls with the exception of one. At least I have not come across anything like this.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...