Lilypie

Thursday, January 12, 2006

White Gold Or Platinum?

A friend who got married last year (2004 actually, I must remember it is already 2006) had a one carat solitaire diamond white gold ring as her wedding ring. But when she showed it to me some time ago, it was already showing traces of wear and tear.

I met up with her as she said she might be interested in buying my ring, so when I showed it to her (just a 0.3 carat Princess-cut diamond), she was surprised at how shiny it still is and asked how I managed to maintain my ring so well?

Good question. I think partly it is because I have not worn the ring ever since 2003, so not much chance of wear and tear since it is not exposed to the elements. Besides, mine is a platinum ring, which probably explains why it is still so shiny despite having been on my finger for more than two years before it took up permanent residence in my jewellery case.

When my married friends were shopping for their wedding bands, they were surprised that platinum cost more than white gold, as they always thought that white gold jewellery is the best. Thus they settled for white gold, only to find out the ring tarnishes after a year or so.

Many people are under the impression that white gold is a very good and lasting metal. Actually white gold is an alloy of yellow gold and silver and some other metals, thus causing its grayish / silvery sheen, which explains why it tends to tarnish quite easily since it is not a pure metal, and harder to maintain.

However, white gold is more expensive than yellow gold due to the manufacturing and processing, even though yellow gold is a pure metal in its own right. But then yellow gold is so seventish, which is why couples for the past decade or so are opting for white gold.

But in recent years, platinum is getting more and more popular. It has the same grayish / silvery sheen as white gold, but since platinum is a pure metal in its own right, it is longer-lasting and easier to maintain. It does not tarnish so easily. Due to this, the price of a platinum ring can be twice or three times that of a normal white gold ring.

I guess it is all up to the couple what type of wedding bands they prefer. If they want something cheaper, they will opt for white gold. If they want something longer-lasting and classier and do not mind forking out more, then settle for platinum. Besides, since platinum is a pure metal, it is suitable for people with sensitive skins too, since white gold may contain traces of metals which may affect sensitive skins.

But in choosing a wedding band, of course anyone will want to settle for the best if the budget allows. However keep in mind the meaning of a marriage. A marriage does not come with a wedding band alone. A wedding band is just a pledge of love between the couple to be joined together as one. The most expensive ring in the world does not mean a thing if the couple cannot stay together.

So white gold or platinum? It is each individual’s choice actually. What about my choice? Well…. that is for me to know and for my future groom to find out. :-p

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

My poor pocket can only afford copper.

But I think a ruby will look good on copper...

shakespeareheroine said...

A ruby on copper? Hmmmm..... sounds interesting and unique!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...