Lilypie

Monday, January 16, 2006

Public Displays Of Affection

What is it about exhibitionists that they like to show their love to the whole world? When one gets around, one tends to see couples actually making out in public, be it on the bus or train, or even walking around in shopping malls. And with some of the things they get up to, they really should just get a room!

I do not know about the rest of you, but normally those couples I see engaged in PDA are those younger ones, ie teenagers and young adults. I have not seen working adults doing that. Perhaps adults are mature enough to refrain themselves from making a fool in public; either that, or they know that love goes beyond physical actions, it is what is in the heart that counts.

I cannot justify whether it is the guys or the girls that are more pro-PDA. There are guys who cannot keep their hands to themselves; but there are also girls who cannot keep their hands to themselves, especially if they are with someone hunky-dory. Just like I see couples where the guys paw their girlfriends all over, I also see couples where the girls paw their boyfriends all over.

So why do some couples do that? To show how much they love each other? What are they trying to prove, that they are the most in-love and loving couple in the world? Do they even feel embarrassed at having everyone noticing them? Or perhaps they just crave for the attention.

The thing is do people even need to display all these affections for each other to tell the whole world they are a couple? You do not need to paw each other to show you are in love; if anything that only shows how lustful you are. And others will question if you really love or just lusting for each other. And there is a big difference there, between true love and mere lust.

I am not brought up in a family where love is shown so blatantly. In fact, I am already more bold as I will hold hands with my guy, sometimes even putting our arms around each other, or a simple peck on the cheeks or lips even in public. I hardly see my parents holding hands with each other, let alone hug or kiss.

But I do not go beyond that. No pawing, no putting hands all over, no French kissing, not anything even further, not in public, not in front of friends, and definitely not in front of parents and family members. Whatever he wants to do behind closed doors is alright, provided the modesty is still intact. Even my own friends do not really paw each other in public or in front of friends. They will hold hands, or put their arms around each other, but that is that.

I used to be rather disgusted at PDAs because I thought those couples were shameless. Until I entered a relationship of my own and all my guys have differing opinions on this issue, I started to become more tolerant. I still do not feel comfortable with couples exhibiting their love though. But where in the past I would turn away in disgust whenever I see PDAs, now I can just walk by nonchalantly.

If a couple is truly in love, do they really need to show so blatantly to everyone? It is the little things that count. Things like being there for each other, showing care and concern for each other, supporting each other, doing little meaningful things for each other. There are better and more meaningful ways to show your love, instead of just mere physical actions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...