Lilypie

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Professionalism ....

What is professionalism, especially in the workplace? Does professionalism simply means doing the work well and efficiently? Or does it encompass more, like putting in more hours in the office, going out of the way to help others and essentially trying to get into the superior’s good books?

My mum once told me professionalism means focusing on your work without letting anything or anybody affecting you, ie do not spill your personal problems and unhappy mood into the office. She said no matter how angry she could be at my father or us kids at times, she still has to go to work with a happy face and not let the domestic problems affect her mood and quality of work.

She told me this after I was dumped for the second time. My ex chose a very inconvenient time to dump me (but then again, there is never a convenient time to dump anyone), because right after I came back from Sydney, I had to be in school the next day for a meeting, submit a report and chart out the choir’s goals for the following year.

I was already crying the whole night away, and the next morning when my mum drove me to my school, I was still crying away. My eyes were so swollen, yet my tears could not stop flowing. She told me to perk up and not to show my unhappy face in school and to focus on my work. She said no matter how hurt I felt and how painful everything was, I must never show my true emotions at the work place.

Easier said than done. I was still crying when I reached school, so I put on my sunglasses and told everyone I contracted conjunctivitis in Sydney. So convincing was I that after two hours, my Vice-Principal told me to just go home and get well.

Does professionalism also means to do whatever you are asked, even it if is out of your job scope? What if you are an executive staff but asked to clean the pantry, wash the cups or even clean the restrooms? Will it be considered “unprofessional” if you refuse?

Similarly, if you are asked to do something you are unfamiliar with, and turn it down as you do not wish to mess up the assignment, will that be “unprofessional” as well? Do employees even have any right to reject what they do not feel comfortable doing, or will they get marked down in their appraisals if they do that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...