Lilypie

Friday, January 13, 2006

Of Family Businesses

The company I am working in right now is a family business. The Boss worked his way up to become the owner of five small subsidiaries, under a big company. His two daughters, son, eldest son-in-law and daughter-in-law are helping him run the various departments and subsidiaries, and his brother-in-law is also one of the employees.

So far it seems like a pretty alright company to work in. The culture is more laid-back, not as fast-paced as those companies around the town area. Despite it being a family business, the family does not put on any airs. They are simple, down-to-earth and act as if they do not know each other at work. And despite being higher-ranking, they do not have the barrier of boss and employee. Really professional, and the type of culture I like, not like some of the previous firms where a line will be drawn between those higher-ranking and those lower-ranking.

I have heard some horror stories about family businesses. Things like only people in the family get the special treatment and the rest of the employees get exploited. Things like when things do not go well, the other employees will be the first to be retrenched. Things like there is no welfare for other employees if you are not a family member. If these stories are really true, then I must really thank my lucky stars!

Come to think of it, I have a few family businesses in my family too. I remember my paternal grandfather was an accountant in a provision shop somewhere around Middle Road where my father’s family used to stay, as that was the place of abode for people of that dialect group. The shop was owned by my paternal grandmother’s brother, which was later passed on to his children.

My grandmother used to being me to the shop and wait for my grandfather, and my aunt would give my free biscuits, chocolate, ice-cream and soft drinks. Perhaps that was where my sweet tooth came from. When my granduncle went back to China where he later passed away, the shop was converted to a restaurant by his eldest son until his retirement a few years back. Where the shop was standing, it is now another restaurant in its place.

But that is just a small business. The real big business is owned by my father’s cousin. He was a case of rags to riches, from an apprentice to the owner of a public-listed company dealing in a certain retail product that has a whole chain of shops all over the island. His two sons, daughter and son-in-law are also helping him in the business. His wife and daughter-in-laws are socialites.

My parents are always impressed by this particular relative because despite being the wealthiest, he never forgets his humble beginnings and inculcate in his children and grandchildren the same values. He never forgets that it was my grandmother who brought him out of China during the second world war, so even now, he, together with his wife, children and grandchildren, still visit my grandmother every Chinese New Year without fail, even when all the rest of our relatives stop coming.

Thus, we will also go to his place every Chinese New Year. His house is practically a dream house for everyone. A big driveway with seven grand cars, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguars, BMWs, a big garden, a patio opening into a swimming pool and Jacuzzi, a backyard lawn with a koi pond, and so many rooms! Yet with all their riches, the whole family is very nice and warm. Must better than those who only have a bit of wealth but look down on everyone else.

My mother’s side, too, has a family business, first set up by my grandfather, now run by my granduncle and second uncle. Some of my granduncle’s children are helping out with the business, either in Indonesia or Singapore, and now my cousin just left her high-flying accounting job in one of the big accountancy firms to help my uncle in the business. My father used to help my uncle out too before he branched out on his own.

I used to envy my friends whose family own big companies as they will be assured of a job the moment they finish school. But now come to think of it, sometimes for children to join the family business, they may just take things for granted as they are the boss’s children so will be very well-treated. One wonders how they will be able to survive outside. (Just a general observation, not saying that the people I know are like that.)

I guess it is all due to upbringing then. People can come from rich families but remain nice and humble, instead of arrogant and spoilt. And I suppose it helps that the parents have gone through hardship, so can relate that not everybody is born with a silver spoon. Those who have been brought up in luxury all the while as the families may have been wealthy for several generations may not be able to understand that not everyone is rich.

But family business or not, no matter where one works, one should give the best and contribute as much as possible and not take anything for granted. After all, we are all working mostly for ourselves and out families, so we are the only ones who can be responsible, not anyone or anything else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...