Lilypie

Monday, January 2, 2006

Which Girl Would Guys Choose?

Girl A : Pretty, elegant, smart, dresses well, makes up well, high-flier, but pampered, wants things her way, extravagant in buying all the branded and expensive goods, incompetent in cooking and cleaning, cannot stand children.

Girl B : More average-looking, simpler in dressing, smart, high-flier, able to cook and clean, thrifty, loves children.

Now, which one would guys choose as a girlfriend or wife? Is it Girl A or Girl B?

I asked four guys, and all said they would choose Girl B, even my brother. Rather a surprise to me actually, since I always thought guys would prefer someone pretty and sophisticated. But my friends said that a pretty girl can only be for show, but if they are to look for a wife, they will want someone who can at least be a home maker, even if she is in a high-flying career. And they do not like the idea of a girlfriend or wife spending unnecessarily.

This brought about because my mum told me her new year resolution for me is to help out more at home, as part of my “training” to be a homemaker. I asked her that she actually wanted me to be a homemaker? She told me that when I find someone to marry me, the guy would like it if I can cook and clean, be it whether I will be working or not after that.

She said that guys want to marry someone they are confident in setting up a home with, and not someone who is only “for display” so to speak. My uncles and cousins all look for girls like that when they were finding their wives, and she has male colleagues who chose simple, plainer-looking girls who can cook and clean over prettier and more sophisticated ones.

Hmmmm…. is that true? Do guys really look for someone who can cook and clean rather than someone who only has a pretty face? I hear a lot of cases where guys dump their girlfriends just because they found prettier and younger girls. This happened to me too.

But come to think of it, my friends who are married are those who can do some form of housework. Even for those who did not know, they started to learn before and after getting married. I have friends who have been pampered all their lives, yet when they got married, they actually started cooking for their husbands.

Yet, those of my friends who refuse to compromise on this issue, ie have never done any housework and will never do any housework, are those that are still single and keep getting out of relationships. Perhaps there is something there after all.

I was told that guys still love it if their ladies cook and clean for them. I know this is important and I will gladly and willingly do that for the one special guy, but I have never known how true it really is. I always thought that it is up to the girl whether she is willing to cook and clean for the guy. In this modern times, do guys really still prefer someone who can at least do some form of housework?

2 comments:

vandice said...

My ex's mum told me she couldn't cook to save her life when she got married and she told her then bf about her deficiency. Guess what the bf said?

"I'm marrying a wife, not employing a housekeeper. We learn together lah."

They've stayed married for the last 30 years. And her cooking's superb!

My $0.02 worth: C.V.s have no place in the realm of love. Finding a partner ain't purely a shopping exercise, where one ticks off the boxes on a checklist. We should go in with both eyes open, but after ticking off the boxes, maybe the question to ask is "Yes, he/she ain't perfect. Do I love him/her any less?"

Sad would be the day love becomes a commodity.

shakespeareheroine said...

well.. very true what you said there. Sure, no one's perfect, but I guess when it comes to love, people will want to take the most perfect one there is.

Of course I wish for the day when someone can accept me whole-heartedly what I am, mood swings, weirdness, warts and all. If I ever fall for someone again, I believe that's what I will do - accept him whole-heartedly.

But I guess for love to even blossom or develop, people will want to see if they can first get along with the other person, then if the other person attract him/her, and whether the other person fulfils the basic things asking for, before being willing to develop further. Which is why there are certain people who can only remain friends, yet others can develop into love.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...