Lilypie

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bad Voice Day ....

The weather seems to have changed for the better, which is a good thing! Now the climate is not too hot, not too cold, not too sunny, not too rainy. Just cool enough to sleep without the air-conditioning, yet warm enough to sleep without the blanket on. How I wish the climate can remain like this throughout the year!

Opera Choral sessions finally resumed after a hiatus of more than a month. Yesterday’s attendance was good. Besides the regular members, those who have performed for “Madame Butterfly” last year but later “disappeared” came back, and there were a few newcomers as well. As a result, our conductor had to re-audition everyone to hear the voice ranges.

It was just not my day. My voice was off last night due to all the cheering during the weekend, and so it was still a little strained and I was not able to project out. I could not even reach the high notes as before. I could reach about two octaves higher on a normal day but yesterday the conductor just stopped at the middle range for me.

Not that I am that good a singer in the first place, comparing to the rest of the members and some of my relatives, but yesterday was my worst performance ever. My vocals were so closed-up and tight that it was such a struggle even to pitch properly. :-(

When I heard the voices of the other members and the way they sing, I seriously wonder how in the world I passed the audition last year in the first place. But I sort of remembered the day of my audition last year happened to be a “good” day where I was able to project and pitch properly. Still, singers have no excuses for “good” or “bad” days, especially during rehearsals and performances. :-/

The purpose of the audition / re-audition was to spread out the different sections more evenly. I was so worried that due to my bad performance, I may be made to sing the Alto range, and my singing voice cannot go lower than a normal C note on the piano scale, otherwise it will be too much of a strain on my vocals. On the other hand, I have managed to go up to the highest F note before, so I am still more comfortable singing in higher scales.

When people hear my natural speaking voice now, they will assume I am an Alto, so most people are surprised when I said I am a Soprano. For those in the know, they understand that the speaking voice and singing voice is different. Some people may have lower voices but more comfortable singing higher pitches, and some may have higher voices but yet more comfortable singing lower pitches.

It all depends on the colour of your voice tone. Besides, my voice has gone down three octaves ever since I started teaching, and it has just never gone up again, How I wish my voice can go back to the original pitch!

In the end, our conductor said that there seems to be no real Altos, so those Sopranos with stronger voices and wider ranges may be asked to sing the Alto parts. Maybe I will be put as a Mezzo-Soprano this year. Anyway, I have always been switched between the first and second Soprano parts in all the choirs I have been in.

I really should take up regular voice lessons again. Ever since my teacher left for her studies half a year ago, I have not had any formal voice lessons, which probably led to the disintegration of my vocals. I find I can actually sing better that period of time when I was undergoing lessons. Only with proper training and technique can I be a full skilled Soprano.

Ever since I stopped the voice lessons, I thought regular choral sessions would be enough and these extra lessons are just a luxury, but after last night, I find it more a necessity especially if I plan to continue performing and taking care of my vocals. I want to take performing arts more seriously from now on, so my late teacher will be proud of me, wherever she is, as well as my former voice teacher. Time to call Mr Thomas Manhart for formal voice lessons!

Oh by the way, I may be starting Salsa classes in March. I signed up last year for the January class actually, but it was full so I was put on the waiting list for the March intake. Hopefully I will be able to start in March so I can at least get some things done in the first half of the year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...