Lilypie

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day Greetings!

Happy Father's Day to all the daddies in the world! I only wish my own dad is around. Many times I wonder is there a difference if there is a dad in the family, as in a proactive dad who takes care of the family and spends time with the children, not one who just brings in the money and neglects the family?

I always have the inkling that mothers are more important because children normally need the tender loving care of a maternal figure. Which is why in divorce cases here, mothers are most often than not given full custody of the children, especially if the kids are less than five years of age.

Then where does the father figure comes in? My grandfather passed away when my mum was less than two years of age. She hardly remembers what he looks like, except for the picture of him which my grandmother still keeps.

Whenever my granduncle visited them, my mum was always so excited. She wanted him to carry her, bounce her on his knee. It was like he became a father to her. So she told me that it is very cruel and depressing for a child to grow up in a family without a father figure.

Besides, it has been scientifically proven (according to my mum) that adults who grew up in complete families tend to be better off socially and emotionally than those who grew up in single parent families. It is like there is always a psychological barrier that they do not have fathers, so are worse off than the rest.

My father has been more laid back through the years. I hardly talk to him nowadays, plus the fact that he is mostly away. But when I was young, he was rather protective of me. He could be even more protective than my mum at times!

So this Father's Day, I want to take the opportunity to be grateful that I have a good father. He shows his love and care for me in his own ways. I only wish he is around so I can spend the day with him before I get indisposed.

Meanwhile, I have packed my things for the hospitalisation. With luck, I can be discharged tomorrow night. Hopefully all goes well and I can come home as soon as possible.

2 comments:

Richard said...

This post makes me sad and refelctive because I am seperated from my kids. They live in a city 200Km away from where I work. I see them on the weekends, but I wish to be with the all the time - but I am addicted to the pay and benefits of my current job.

shakespeareheroine said...

I believe you are a very good father. At least your kids see u every week, I see my dad only a few times a year. But you need to work so as to support your family, so I guess that's hardly a choice.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...