Lilypie

Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Yet More "Ugly" Singaporeans!

Ugly Singaporeans, yet again! Totally disgusted! People just sashay by without showing consideration and caring about others!

I was on my way home in the train earlier. I was sitting next to this guy in a military uniform. I presume he is at least a Corporal and above. There was this pregnant lady, so big that she is on the verge of popping, standing right in front of him.

I saw him look at her, sat back and relaxed in his MP3. What the?! What happened to all the gallantry and chivalry? And does he know how sick a pregnant lady can feel? She will develop headaches, giddiness, leg cramps, backaches and feelings of nausea even in the early stages! I believe it will be worse in the third trimester.

In the end I offered my seat to the lady. She must have felt really relieved as she looked really uncomfortable standing up. I glared at the guy only to have him give me an innocent look. Do not play coy with me if you jolly well know why I was fed up!

However I was not feeling so well myself. I had been feeling rather lethargic and weak lately, so standing up for a while was not a good idea. Thus, when I saw an empty seat, I was really relieved. I was just about to sit down when a guy in a business suit came in suddenly, shoved past me and grabbed the place.

Have guys nowadays really no more chivalry? It is one thing not giving up your seat when you have already sat down, but it is another thing altogether when you see a lady (or anyone) about to sit down and you "wrestle" the seat away.

Then on my way home, I felt like eating certain types of food, so I dropped by the food centre nearby and bought my dinner. There were smokers everywhere. This guy in the queue in front of me was with his pregnant wife (I seem to see a lot of pregnant ladies this year. Hopefully our government will be happy.).

He was smoking and blowing smoke all over, towards me, towards his wife, and he was pointing his cigarette butt in my direction. I could not take it. I let him have it. I told him to refrain from smoking and pointing his cigarette at me, because his smoke was making me difficult to breathe.

Besides I may easily catch lung cancer because of him. Furthermore, it is dangerous to smoke when his wife is pregnant, as it affects the baby if she breathes in too much smoke, so he better kick the habit if he does not want his kid to be an imbecile.

The guy looked at me speechless. After that he quickly stubbed out his butt. Hmmmm..... amazing how sometimes telling people off can work wonders! Oh well, I guess that was just a one-time lucky thing. I may not get off so easily the next time round if I do such a thing.

Come to think of it, was I rather self-centred too? After all, people have a right to do what they like, including causing public hazard. So what right do I have to tell people off? Or is it because lately I am on this health kick, which triggered this off? Still, perhaps I should have just minded my own business and kept my mouth shut.

5 comments:

LeeCooper said...

a neighbour owns this really beautiful golden retriever. sadly, he allows the dog to poo anywhere and refuse to clean up after... sometimes, right outside the door step.

i wrote an angry letter and drop it off his mailbox.

Richard said...

The age of chivalry is a myth. People have never been chivalrous, nor gallant, not friendly and good mannered to one another.

Rather like the beauty and the beast, or cinderella, or sleeping beauty, or snow white fairy tales all of them, told to us when we were children.

Burninator said...

its good that at least that guy listened.

some people might just bark back at you.

imp said...

well done you!!!

shakespeareheroine said...

Leecooper : you did? Then what happened?

Richard : No chivary does not mean people can have the excuse to totally forget their manners too.

Burninator : Yup, guess I was lucky.

Imp : Well.. I dun normally have that much guts actually.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...