Lilypie

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Another Movie Marathon (Of Sorts)

It had been quite a weekend as I went for a movie marathon .... of sorts. It is not really one show after another, but rather, I watched four shows of different genres in just slightly more than twenty-four hours. The first was "300", then "Happily N'Ever After", then "Letters From Iwo Jima" and finally "The Phantom Of The Opera" on television on Sunday night. People who know me can attest that I can watch three (or even more) movies in one day, and if I really like the show, I will watch it again and again and never get sick of it!

"300" is a battle show between the ancient Spartans and Persians. I remember in my History lecture back in school I had to do an assignment on the Pelopponesian War between the Athens and the Spartans (which had all since been returned to the lecturer), so I do know the Spartans were great in their time. It is a typical guys type of show, but I love it too. The movements and effects are good (considering it was from a comic book), and the fighting is effective, albeit unrealistic.

It is hard for me to find people to watch movies with because the type of shows I love range from Star Wars and Matrix (only guys will like, my girl friends scoff at these shows) to Love Actually (only girls will like, my guy friends mostly cannot stand romantic comedies) to Forrest Gump (not many people like History), to Flags Of Our Fathers (again, not many people enjoy History and war) to A Beautiful Mind (boring for most people as they cannot get the meaning of the show) to Finding Neverland (biographies which will bore most people) to Chicago (people rather go to the dentist than go for musical movies). As a result, I often have to go to the movies on my own if I cannot find anyone to go with. Just like the upcoming Phantom of the Opera, I have to go on my own as I have yet to find anyone to go with me.

Anyway, after "300", we went to watch "Happily N'Ever After". For a twisted fairy tale of sorts, it is not as good as "Shrek" (I cannot wait for the third one to start showing!). However, the message is meaningful, in that girls who always want their "Prince" may find out the "Prince" is actually not as good as the humble servant, who can show more courage, love and selflessness than the air-headed Prince. How true! Or perhaps only die-hard romantics like me will deem this as meaningful.

In the evening, I went with a friend to watch "Letters From Iwo Jima". Actually it was my second time watching this show in the cinema. The first time was some weeks back. My friend came to meet me to brief me on the lecture I missed, so to thank her, I treated her to a movie and she wanted to watch this show.

Despite being the second time watching the show, I still feel touched and cried at the end. It would have been a better experience watching the show a second time, but for inconsiderate cinema-goers who like to comment loudly on everything, laugh at every part (I wonder why? This is such a solemn show!), and then complain how slow-moving and how stupid the character was. If I need a movie commentary, I will ask for one, thank you very much! Otherwise, kindly shut up and watch the movie quietly and let others watch in peace!

On Sunday night, the "Phantom Of The Opera" premiered on television, to commemorate the Opening Night of the musical this Friday. Despite the numerous times I have watched the musical and listened to the songs, I am still in awe over the way the artistes sing the songs. I was trying to pitch accordingly to how Emmy Rossum sang "Think Of Me", and I feel proud that I can still pitch the highest note! Although the lower notes still need work, and she has an impressive three and a half octaves range, perhaps more!

I still feel sad for the Phantom himself - a misunderstood, outcasted fellow, judged by the way he looks and not getting the love he craves for, living the rest of his life as a shadow in misery as a result. I can hardly wait for next week when I can watch the musical again!

2 comments:

KASHAF said...

Ultramarathon training We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work.

Faizan Shaikh said...

Half marathon training guides Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...