Lilypie

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Incompetent Customer Service Officers ....

In just a few days, I came across a few very rude customer service officers. The standard of customer service here is nothing to talk about, but recently it seems to have become worse instead of striving to be better. Hardly have I come across any service personnel here that makes customers feel good and warm.

Maybe it is the environment we grow up in. People become emotionless, and even when doing a job, it is just that - a job. Not many will go the extra mile for others, be it in a job or just extending a helping hand. Those who actually go the extra mile will often be looked at in a weird way by others. Perhaps that is why people will not help, no matter what. Like what Rocky said, people should help because they want to, not because they are expecting anything back, so others should just accept and not view them suspiciously.

Anyway, the local service personnel should just upgrade or undergo further training. But then some people are just born to serve (in a way), whereas others, no matter how much training, will still not be able to achieve. It is all in one's attitude, behaviour and speech. There are just some who simply have the charisma, and when a customer gets served by someone like this, he / she will feel good.

Then there are others who simply do not make the cut, their attitudes are put-offish, the way they speak offend others, they simply do not bother, and when customers get served by people like these, they will get irritated as a result.

However, first and foremost, a service personnel should know the product inside out. How can anyone go into a shop, meet a service personnel, ask a few questions, only to have the personnel say, "Sorry this is not my expertise. Can I get someone else for you?"

Okay, not his expertise, but if he is working in the shop, should he not at least know what is going on instead of blowing away a customer like this? If he is trying to make a sale, then he would have blown all his chances as customers will not buy from anyone who does not even know anything, be it his department or not.

Which was what happened to me last week. I was trying to find something for my mum on Mother's Day. I was racking my brains to find out what to get for a woman who has everything. In the end I decided to get her a phone, since her phone has been breaking down pretty often lately.

Since she is using the older version of the Samsung SGH-E360, I decided to get her the new Samsung SGH-E500, the gold one. It is no use getting her any other phones as once she is used to something, she is reluctant to change. Which is why she refuses my offer of the spare Motorola Razr v3x.

Anyway, I went into a furniture mall where computers and mobile phones are also on sale. I spoke to the sales assistant around the mobile phone display area, and then he told me that it was not his department, so he would have to get someone to explain to me. Well, if it was not his department, why would he be standing there? Besides, if he is a sales assistant in that mall, should he not be familiarised with everything on display, no matter what product?

I was a bit irritated, but no harm done. I got what I went in for, and overall rather satisfied. Which is more than I can say for a very rude customer service personnel yesterday. I wanted to buy the jugs after work, so I called in to all three places. The first place was excellent. Not only is the service personnel polite, but she said she would check up what I wanted and get back to me. She really did call me back after half an hour! I was impressed, because in most cases, the people would say call back but never did. And she even reserved the jug for me!

The second place I called was just as polite, except the personnel who answered the phone gave his profuse apologies that they do not entertain reservations, which means I have to go down to the store personally and pick the product I wanted. However, he asked that if I was not able to make it on time, just give them a call and they would extend the opening hours. How nice!

The third one was the one that really riled me. I called in, asking the same question about the availability of the product I wanted, and then asked about the opening hours of the store, so I know if I could go down after work. The personnel answered, "What has our store opening hours got to do with you?"

Whoa, that is such a low blow! I wanted to hang up the phone on the spot! Maybe I am being proud and arrogant, but I always thought as a paying, or potential paying, customer, am I not entitled to ask any question I like? And as service personnels, is it not their jobs to answer any question politely, no matter how redundant and stupid? Are they even supposed to tell a customer that the question is nothing to do with him / her?

Some people I know will feedback immediately, but to me, I never like causing anyone to be in trouble, no matter what he / she has done to me. No doubt he was rude to me, but if I cause him to lose his job due to a complaint, then I will not feel good as well. Although I do hope as customer service personnels, they should watch their language, speeches and behaviour, and make customers want to buy from them, instead of driving customers away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...