Lilypie

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Jug-gling Away ....

I had been sourcing for a cool-looking jug or pitcher for my room, so I will never run out of water. All along whenever I need a drink, I will have to go downstairs and pour myself a glass of water from the kettle, or else help myself to one of the plastic Coke bottles (which we recycle to store water) and bring that up to my room.

The problem is I am a water barrel, so a 1.5 litre bottle will probably only last me half the day. Plus I find Coke bottles tacky. If I am to store water in my room, I rather have a cool looking jug that emits class. Not only that, I will need to bring along water when I go out so I will not risk being thirsty when there are no places to sit down for a drink. I used to resort to those round Tupperware tumblers, and although practical and good quality, still, nothing beats a classy-looking container.

Not only that, I need one for my office too. The one I have in my office is a one litre purple Nalgene wide-mouthed bottle, left over from my teaching days. It is good quality and practical, but it seems out of place in my office, since it is afterall a sports water bottle. Thus I have to find something more classy for my office use.

So I was really pleased when the latest Sunday Lifestyle featured a page on jugs and pitchers, and where to find the coolest looking ones. When I saw the types of jugs featured, I was really amazed! Perhaps I have not gone places, but where do people find such nice looking things? Some are really expensive - imagine just a jug costing more than S$200!

But I fell in love with a couple of them the moment I set my eyes on them. Thus I went down to buy them after work yesterday. One is a narrow-necked bottle, with handpainted pink flowers (choice of purple and yellow as well) which looks so quaint! The shop itself is really quaint, it was just as if I was stepping right into a fairytale. Apparently, their products were shipped from all over the world, plain porcelain or china or glass at first, but the little decorations were specially handpainted by the staff.

The kitchen setting and utensils as displayed in the shop reminded me of those stories of old where the princess doll and teddy bears sat around to have tea. Even the receipt given when I made my purchase is nice - drawn with little dolls all round it. I am going to use that bottle at home, and since it can contain about a litre and not that heavy, I can easily put it into a holder and carry it around with me.

The next shop I went into is a direct change from the fairytale setting. It is a modern lifestyle furniture shop, great for yuppies who want to own their own bachelor (or single woman) pad. I bought the classy-looking glass wide-necked jug, which comes together with its own glass as the cover, so I can bring it to the office and use it to contain water. The mug I already have in my office was bought by my dear, a pink mug with my favourite Pooh, where I use to make tea or hot chocolate (Milo). It sounds corny, but each time I use the mug I will think of him.

The last one I bought is a water dispenser from a toy shop, perfect for water barrels like myself. It is a cute little penguin with a mini water dispenser on top, perfect for exactly eight glasses of water. That is how much the water dispenser contains, which I suspect is for parents who want to train their children into drinking the required amount of water per day. But for me, it is perfect for my room, so I can just dispense the water from there, instead of drinking wholescale from a bottle.

Which reminds me, I have to replace my drinking glass. The classy-looking glass I had, the simple 250 ml transparent glass, was accidentally broken by my grandmother and I have yet to replace it. Then all will be set. I can have my own water dispenser, glass and bottle in my room for my drinking pleasure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...