Lilypie

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Feedback On My First Assignment

I just got back my first assignment, and I got a B. A low B. :-( Not very good, because if my first assignment is this grade, then what will happen to the rest? My second assignment is due next week, and it will be a 2,500 word essay on the Roman Coliseum. It is not as easy as it seems, because the question is on the architectural structure of the Coliseum, why it meant so much to the Romans and how the Coliseum changed history. Now how is anyone going to write 2,500 words on this? I have no idea how to even get a word in!

My first assignment was on Art Appreciation, Sonnets, Analysis and Background of the Poet Percy Shelley, and Philosophy. I actually got A for the last three, but it was my Art Appreciation section that pulled me down, with just a borderline score. It is hard to score indeed for something so subjective. These are my tutor's comments :

"Your work on the painting was a little uneven in that you were interpreting and analysing at the same time. Try to keep to the requirements of the question as you approach your work - it asked for how the artist used elements of form to achieve depth and expressive quality. Describing the people is not useful here unless it helps to show the elements of form.

The work on the poem was better in that you were able to show the political aspect of the work in relation to literary devices used. You seemed to focus quite a bit on the idea of tyranny (even though it is important) and also paraphrased the poem without commenting much on it. Do avoid this - analyse and comment on the use of literary devices more. [How does one analyse "Ozymandias" anyway?]

The piece on Shelley was good - needed in-text citations to show where you got the information from [did I not provide a bibliography at the end??] but nonetheless, your inclusion of the kind of attitudes that prevailed in Shelley's time helped to make the point about this shocking behaviour. Well done in the last section [ie Philosophy - surprise surprise!] - showed good grasp of all the elements of the argument.

Fairly good work - just need to be more careful about answering the questions more directly."

So now I have to figure out how to answer the question on Roman Coliseum "directly" in 2,500 words!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...