Lilypie

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Barbie Forever

I admit I am childish, but then girls will be girls. Just like guys, even way into adulthood, they still collect their action figurines and play games, girls will never outgrow their dolls. Besides soft toys, my other childish passion is Barbie dolls. I will never consider that a collection since I only have three, plus one of Barbie's cousin Skippy. My mum never allowed me to buy more as Barbie dolls are too expensive in her opinion. If I had my way, I would have bought the wedding collection of Barbie and Ken, together with their house!

The reason I like Barbie dolls is because I find the figurine an icon of beauty. Gorgeous figure, fashionable and stylish, good makeup and hair. Which is what I feel a woman should look like. Barbie represents style, grace, elegance, and her look is timeless, a classic. Even though I only have a few Barbie dolls, I used to treat them like real people - comb their hair, dress them up, role play with them. My Barbie dolls are still with me, kept in a cupboard, as they are too precious to give or throw away, and I do not want them collecting dust on a shelf.

Recently, the cosmetics company M.A.C. launched its Barbie series of cosmetics. The series includes the newest edition of Spring colours, together with a limited edition gold label Barbie doll, which means there is only twenty-five thousand of the dolls all over the world, available only at selected retailers. This is what the M.A.C. Barbie looks like.


The shop is having a promotion for holders of a certain credit card. The package includes cosmetics, the limited edition Barbie doll and a makeover and hairstyling session. Since I hold the stipulated credit card, I jumped at the opportunity to sign up for the package and got the doll and new cosmetics. I will be having the makeover next week. People will think I am mad or childish, but to me, the doll represents part of my childhood. Mattel has done something wonderful in creating this doll as girls (and even adult ladies) all over the world are still willing to spend to buy a limited collection doll. That is the appeal of Barbie, and it will never lose its appeal for me.

2 comments:

imp said...

when i was young, barbie scared me to bits. so my childhood toys were M.A.S.K and Transformers! never exactly took to Barbie. Now older, I can tell that the marketing for the Barbie brand's amazing. But still not attracted to the dolls./ :)

juphelia said...

I played with M.A.S.K and Transformers too! I still remember how I exchanged my Switchblade with my neighbours (three boys) next door and often challenged them!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...