Lilypie

Monday, September 22, 2008

"Wanted" ....

Life is really funny. Few years back when I was desperate for a job, it was so hard to find one. I sent out countless resumes, went for numerous interviews, and in the end those who got back to me were those which I was not that interested to work for as compared to some others. Still, I just grabbed whatever that came. Miserable pay, mundane tasks, no prospects. But what to do, I need to earn my own keep.

When this current job came along, I was so happy to be able to work in this company, and thought finally I can settle into a permanent post! Since then, I have lasted longer than anyone else in my department. The pay is okay, I have job satisfaction, but the prospects are not that good, because after a few years, this is about as far as I can go – the same rank, doing the same things. Only thing is there will be an annual raise, but that is about it.

That is why the turnover is quite high, because there are much better prospects outside. There are staff who have been here for twenty years or more, and they are still doing the same thing day in day out. I can never imagine that! It was a struggle initially, but it was quite easy for me to fit in and settle down, and now I am honestly feeling a bit bored. I am hungry for more! I need brain work and challenge!

Still, I have not actively looked for any post because I was holding on to next year when I get my bonus and incentive before deciding whether to move. Yet now, when I am not really looking for a job, suddenly I got headhunted. Besides the recent interview I went to, today two more headhunters called me. These are for jobs in Multi National Corporations and large statutory boards, even foreign offshore banks, places with more global exposures, better remuneration packages and definitely bigger bonuses. Not to mention better fringe benefits as well.

I can never believe my luck! All of a sudden, I seem “wanted” everywhere! I seriously wonder how in the world they know of my existence and updated resume! But I told them I need to consider before reverting. It is also strange that all of a sudden there seem to be more job vacancies. I will think people will hold on to their jobs at this time because it is nearing the bonus period, and plus the economy is going down, so people are more desperate to cling on to their jobs!

Come to think of it, the job market now is pretty unstable. With the restructuring of conglomerates like Merrill Lynch, closing of Lehman Brothers and Morgan Stanley to follow soon, people have found themselves without a job overnight. So the banking related jobs in recruitment agencies are saturated!

My close friends tell me how come I have become so choosy where jobs and remuneration are concerned, but then, if one is headhunted, one has every right to be choosy. After all, the company asked for you, not the other way round! If I was the one who was desperate for a job, then I cannot afford to be choosy.

But now that I am basically fine with my current post and not really thinking of moving unless a much better opportunity comes along, then I have every right to be choosy! There must be a justification to move. Why should I move if there are no better prospects or pay? Especially since this period of time is where the bonus and incentive come in, so if other companies cannot give me an offer I cannot refuse, then there is no point, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...