Lilypie

Monday, September 22, 2008

Negotiation At A Phone Interview

I just got off the phone interview with the company, with the Human Resource personnel this time, and I think it was not as smooth-sailing as the face-to-face interview last Friday. I had to answer questions on why am I intending to move, what kind of superiors do I prefer to work with, what are my strengths and weaknesses.

I am never the kind to "self-promote", so I was a bit stumped for words on certain parts. I always believe in being responsible to what you say. Thus if I say I am this and this, I better ensure I can pull it through. If I am not confident of pulling it through, I rather not say anything. Besides, whatever I am, others can make their own conclusions without me saying anything.

Then came the salary negotiation part. Ah.... so that was the whole purpose of this call. My headhunter was the one who pushed for the amount, and after the first phone interview, the company had no qualms with it. When I was asked to go for the face-to-face interview, my headhunter said the remuneration package was approved.

Now, I was told it is a bit high. I should have known! Which company is willing to give so much more from what one was originally earning? The thing is, if the remuneration was not approved in the first place, then should not have given me high hopes, right? Now I was told because of the market situation, things are going to go downhill, thus such a significant increase is not feasible.

So I said, if I am to move now and my remuneration is not going to be much of a difference from what I am getting, then I find it hard to convince myself to move at this time, because I will be forfeiting my bonus and incentives from my current company. The guy said he understands where I am coming from and proceeded to tell me about the exposure the company can give.

I said I am all for moving to a more global role, as I would like more international exposure. With this, I can add value to whatever work experience I have, and get to learn more things at the same time. Besides, going to a new industry spells new challenge, and I like more challenges in my work.

Finally, he told me to provide him two professional references which he can ask about my work, so I provided him the contact of my former Head and former Counsel. These are the two whom I could get along the most, more as friends than actual supervisor-supervisee roles.

He told me it is a Contract job, leading to a permanent position once the headcount is approved, as they, too, do not want someone to come in for just a few months and leave. Rather, they want someone who can be there on a long-term basis, so I said I am fine with that (keeping my fingers crossed the headcount gets approved!). He ended by saying that if they are not able to match the amount I (or rather, my headhunter) asked for, they will weave it into other fringe benefits along the way.

So I guess at the end of the day, if I get the job, I believe there will still be a bit of an increase in remuneration. Well, I shall just see where it goes from here! It is time to change to a new environment, as I really find myself stagnating already!

2 comments:

sentosa said...

don't believe too much on excuse of "global exposure thus lower pay". That's just the HR tactic to lower the pay, and it seems to be pretty petty from the company to go that way. Consult the headhunter on what's the best move.. remember, whatever promised may not come true in the end, so better get whatever deal you can get now, rather than hanging on future promises

juphelia said...

I consulted my mum, and she said to negotiate with them further because initially everything was approved before I went for the interview, so by right if they could not offer me what was initially promised I have every right to turn down the offer. Still, I shall see how it goes, since they will be calling me today for a final offer.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...