Lilypie

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Church Directory

A friend challenged me the other day, in naming all the Catholic churches here. This came about when we were discussing the fact that amongst the entire Christian population here, the biggest denomination is still Catholics.

I believe the Protestants will jump at this, but the fact is there are still more Catholics than any other denomination. That is why the Catholic churches here have a few services every Sunday, to cater to all the crowd. And there are many others who do not attend church regularly but are listed as Catholics.

Anyway, I took up the challenge and started naming all the Catholic churches I know. After a check with the Church Directory, I realise that I got about two-thirds right. There is a total of thirty Catholic churches scattered around the island, and I named about twenty-two of them. Just a glance, these are the Catholic churches in the various parts of the island (those with * indicate churches I have attended or am currently attending) :

East
Church of the Holy Family*
Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour*
Church of the Holy Trinity*
Church of Our Lady Queen of Peace* - My aunt was baptised here
Church of St Stephen

Central / South
Church of St Peter and Paul*
St Joseph's Church
Cathedral of the Good Shepherd*
Church of the Sacred Heart
Church of Our Lady of Lourdes
Church of St Bernadette
Church of St Alphonsus (Novena Church)*
Church of St Teresa* - I was baptised and confirmed here
Church of St Michael*

West
Blessed Sacrament Church
Church of the Holy Cross
Church of St Mary of the Angels
Church of St Joseph
Church of St Francis of Assisi*
Church of St Ignatius

North
Church of Christ The King
Church of the Risen Christ
Church of Our Lady Star Of The Sea
Church of St Anthony
Church of the Holy Spirit

North-East
Church of St Francis Xavier
Church of St Vincent de Paul
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
St Anne's Church
Immaculate Heart of Mary Church

So from a look at the churches I have attended, one can gauge which area(s) I am staying in!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...