Lilypie

Monday, September 1, 2008

Seeing The Big Picture

Happy Teacher's Day to all my teaching friends! After all the slogging, there is only one day in the entire year where teachers can get their due recognition. Honestly, teachers do not need expensive gifts from the kids; they just want the kids to be good, disciplined, hardworking and a willing attitude to learn.

At times I wonder if our local education system is a success. The product of our local education seem to be shallow people who has never seen the world at large, who does not know how to think of the bigger picture and do things on the spur of the moment, often resulting in trouble, like the recent case of a certain government official.

Not to mention the various people I have met. I was conversing with someone a while back, and he was saying how irresponsible a woman is to marry a man while carrying another man's baby. I got so riled I really blasted out at him. How can he say something like that without thinking of the big picture?

In the first place, if the woman is pregnant, it takes lots of courage to face the fact. In the second place, if the man is willing to marry her despite knowing that she is pregnant, then he is doing a very noble thing. She wants a family for the kid. So how can anyone say that she is irresponsible? Does anyone even know the stigma attached to an unwed mother? Why not call the cad who got her pregnant then left her in the lurch "irresponsible"? Why always blame the female?

Seeing the big picture also mean to think things through before doing anything. For instance, if I know I may not get another job with better prospects and opportunity, then I cannot be so impulsive to quit my job now, especially with the current major financial commitments I have.

So no matter how pissed I get, I still have to grind my teeth and continue on. What can be that bad right? The most I get is more gossip, not that I am not used to that. What can they do to me? If I do not quit they cannot find any reason to fire me as well as long as I produce results.

One does not learn to see the big picture instantly. It needs experience, growth, mistakes, learning, before one can finally understand how the things we do may affect others. It took me almost my whole life before I could see things from a big picture and not be so cooped up with my own selfish ways. Sad to say there are many who are still stuck in their own ways and unwilling to see things from different angles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...