Lilypie

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Improving My Emotional Quotient

What is this thing about Emotional Quotient? In recent years, more and more companies are aware that just basing on how intelligent one is, it is no use at times, because in the workplace (or anywhere for that matter), someone with a high intelligence quotient may not be someone who can get along well with people.

And that is how office politics start – when one goes around offending everyone else. Of course, at times, office politics also start from those with a lower emotional quotient to someone with a higher quotient, but that is beside the point.

Having an Emotional Quotient is not merely getting along well with people. It is how one handles things along the way. For instance, someone can be very good at his job, but he lets his problems (be they family or relationship) affect him and he ends up doing slipshod work and being so emotional all the time.

Another person can also be equally good at the job, but he never lets his problems affect him. He continues doing a good job, being cheerful and ensuring the job is a success, being calm and collected, but he may have even more problems on the side yet no one knows.

So in terms of a promotion, who is likely to be promoted? The second person of course. Because he has a higher Emotional Quotient than the first person, even if he may or may not be more intelligent.

Emotional Quotient does not relate to work alone. It also relates to how one treats others. Many people I come across has no EQ at all, despite having high IQs. They go around offending people, being shallow and making childish remarks, not seeing things from another angle and continue being so narrow-minded.

I am not saying I have a high EQ, but I admit my EQ is higher than before. I still blast out at whoever and whatever, I still say things like it is, I still do not mince my words. I still do not go around being a hypocrite, which is what contributed to my work problem.

But I am learning how to get along better with people, what can be said and not said. I still do not go around pretending to like someone if I really cannot stand the person though. But I have tried (and succeeded) in not letting things affect me, not bringing external problems to work, and not bringing work problems back home.

I am trying hard to improve my Emotional Quotient. I already do not have a high Intelligence Quotient (the last test I took it was 138, not really that high actually), but I make it up by working my mind at logical puzzles, solving problems and quizzes in order to improve my mind.

So I have to keep improving my Emotional Quotient by continue being nice and keeping my emotions in check. I wonder if this comes with growth, experiences and maturity? Once I achieve that, I can finally start to learn how to improve my Financial Quotient! Then I will be all set!

After all, if the person I have in mind has a high level of IQ, EQ and FQ, then I should not be that way off if I intend to match up! Someone like that is someone who will succeed in life, and I aim to be successful!

1 comments:

Anjali said...

Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, experience on EQ. i really got very inspired frm your reading. I am having so much of trouble dealing with my emotions..i took the test and came to know that i have very low EQ. It really hurt me, but i want to change my overall attitude and EQ..no matter what. I read that you are working on your EQ and its helping you alot. Can you please guide me also as to what i should do to have good EQ.. i just realised how important it is in your life to be successful in anything you want to do..

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...