Lilypie

Friday, September 12, 2008

Career Progression ....

I have never really talked much about my career, not like those who actually chart out a roadmap where they want their careers to go. To me, as long as it is a stable and secure job that is all that matters. To some people, they will think I have no aspirations, but my opinion is to know my limits. Like if I know I am not qualified enough to do certain things, then I should not even think of doing something out of my league.

It is not a matter of not having aspirations, but more a matter of knowing your capabilities. Like even though I love to be in a marcom job, I know I for sure will not be able to apply for one because I do not have the qualifications or experience. So the only other thing is either get the qualifications and then move over, or just be satisfied with what I can do.

In the past decade, I have not been worried about my career path. My plan was to finish school, work, get hitched and that was it. No need to "climb so high" as I was all for spending more time with the family. Thus, any job would do. In any case, I was under a government sponsorship, so had to serve out a bond. Then once my bond was over, I left for “greener” pastures.

So I went back to what I was originally supposed to do. I had to start off as a newbie all over again. Worse is I did not complete the required course and get the necessary qualifications, so it made things even harder. I was “over-qualified” for junior positions, but not qualified enough for senior positions. I was in between, which made it hard to describe my job scope.

The first firm I started in was a medium-sized one. The main partner happened to be the wife of a very prominent guy from a very prominent family. She has quite a reputation in the industry, so my friends from the industry told me I was lucky to get a job there. Maybe because it was an adjustment to a new job, or maybe because I had to start all over from scratch.

Whatever it was, my time there was very tough. I was expected to work around the clock. By the time I reached home, I was too tired to do anything else. And I was still in a relationship then, so it did not help matters that the guy did not understand. Besides I was treated like a second class citizen.

That was the difference between practitioners and non-practitioners – you get treated like dirt and being pushed around with no sense of respect. Furthermore, I had no experience with the kind of work, so I screwed up quite a bit. The firm specializes in major corporate work, so I had to learn everything from scratch.

In those days, I used to wonder why they kicked up such a big fuss because it was only human to make mistakes, but now I realize in our industry, even a trivial error can have grave consequences. But I did not understand it then, so I left after a short stint. Ironically, now I am the one to tell people off when they make what I term as “unforgiveable” mistakes. Seems like the more experiences one gain, the higher the expectations will be.

Shortly after, I got a job with the second biggest firm here. It is a very old firm, established in the late nineteenth century, and still going strong. Many of the best in the industry and prominent figures practice in that firm. I have heard of this firm even back in school, so it was really an honour to be able to work there. Many of my peers dreamt of working there.

But the work was hellish, working hours even more so. All I was doing were reading and analyzing banking and mortgage documents of two hundred pages. It was no joke! Imagine the entire document in a language that sounds almost foreign to a layman. And if you had to do that for the rest of your life, that was real torture!

Also, the people had no compassion or understanding of other commitments. It was just work and nothing else. I worked till past midnight for about a few weeks. And they did not accept any excuse of family commitments if I wanted to leave early on one of the days. It was like if the boss worked late, everyone had to work late. So after six months, I threw in the towel.

Then I moved over to a medium-sized firm. This is not as famous as the previous two places I worked for, but the firm had a pretty good reputation on its own, as it used to belong to a certain late prominent character. The firm is still using his name. The work there was fine, not as bad as the previous firm. At least I need not stay until midnight everyday!

I could have stayed but for the fact that the environment was too autocratic for my liking. I was dealing with mostly property transactions (another mundane kind of job because it was the same procedure over and over again). I needed a job where the workload is challenging and I could be autonomous in what I do, and not a job where I had to report every little trivial thing to the boss.

In short, I need a job where I can be trusted to function on my own and not like a robot, just taking instructions and doing things according to the instructions given. Again, I was treated like a second-class citizen. So another six months later, I threw in the towel again.

After that, there were some rocky times in my career path. I just wanted a job in a good company where the prospects were good and I could learn. The pay did not really matter to me. That was then, because I did not have other commitments like studies, and long before I dabbled in investments, before I decided on having a car and a property to my name. I was just satisfied with living a simple life.

Since then, I had gone through other jobs, contract jobs, temp jobs, permanent jobs, had been fired due to incapability, been “gotten rid of” due to restructuring. I had stints at a big bank and a small firm, before I got my first in-house position, this time at a large electronics company owned by another prominent lady who is the wife of another big shot figure.

I was really excited at this opportunity! The boss was good, the work was challenging, I was given autonomy to do my work, but due to a restructuring exercise where the main holding company was absorbing and consolidating the departments of all the subsidiaries, all the newer staff and staff about to retire were asked to leave.

So that was it. I had to go back job hunting again, and I got my second in-house position, this time in another company in a totally different industry – the oil and shipping industry. Good pay, good prospects, good bonuses, but the work was a bit mundane. Still, work was work, and I just adapted as much as I could.

That was an okay company to work for, even though the supervisor was picky. If it was not because of some personal issues that made it absolutely necessary for me to leave the company, I would have stayed on. But then if I had stayed on, perhaps I would still have remained there now and would not have been exposed to whatever I can learn in my current company.

I spent another three months sorting out my personal issues, then I started job hunting again. I ended up in another small firm, where the work was mundane again, and I had to suffer a pay cut, but I was just grabbing whatever job I could get at such short notice. Shortly after, my current company offered me my current post.

Obviously I jumped ship. Working in-house has always been my preference. Besides, it was like a dream come true to be able to work here. Of course it was not like what I expected, but still, work will always have ups and downs. No matter where one goes, no matter which company. So I just live and let live.

The thing is, I was satisfied with just a mundane job before I entered this company. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I never knew the kind of things I could do. Perhaps I was not given the opportunity in the past, but now that I learnt so much and been exposed to so much, I really yearn for something even more challenging.

Work here was challenging in the beginning, but after a while it became more mundane. And I have also come to the stage where I have become more career-minded. Perhaps I am a late bloomer, but now that I may not have the chance to settle down and start a family, career is the only other thing I can fall back on. So if I have the chance to progress even further, why would I be satisfied with something mundane? If I cannot be successful in my love life, I can at least be successful in my career.

I used to think pay was not the factor in any job. As long as I did not mind the job that was all that matters. I have turned down better paying jobs just because I did not like the job scope, which people have said I was a fool. Job satisfaction was all that mattered. I still adhere to it, but the thing is if I get offered a job doing something I am doing right now with better pay, why not?

In the past I was satisfied with my income, because I did not plan for my future. I thought I would get married, start a family and that was it. Then when I am helping my best friend with her wedding plans, I realize just how much everything cost. I have always known it is a big amount, but I never realize how much it is until I come into contact with the whole thing!

Then I realize whatever I was earning would not be enough even if I was to get married. The preparations, the flat, will wipe out my entire life savings! Not to mention with the steep inflation and my recent heartbreaking loss, I have fully realized the importance of liquid assets, especially since I have gotten used to a more comfortable lifestyle.

So I am all the more driven to make more money and save up more to make up for my loss, especially since I still have to earn my own keep, get my own property and perhaps own a car in the future. With what I am earning right now, I can barely afford a place of my own! I cannot be forever living with my parents, whether I get married or not.

Thus, I now count the remuneration package as an important factor if I am to change jobs again. Other factors like prospects, learning ground, environment and reputation of the company also come into place. I am no longer satisfied with just a normal mundane job, doing the same thing over and over again and drawing a normal income. I want something more.

Maybe it is to do with job experience and maturity. Before, there were many things I did not know, so was satisfied with just any job, but after being exposed to them, they are now at my fingertips. After knowing things, one will want to know even more things, find new challenges. I know there are others who are satisfied with the same position for years. I used to be like that, but now I cannot stand the idea of doing the same things over and over again for the rest of my life. It will get too boring and I will start looking for greener pastures.

I spoke to my mum, and she told me that a Multi National Corporation is definitely good for prospects and growth. Besides, they pay very well. My boss was from this kind of background, and he told me even his junior secretary is being paid more than me! I felt so insulted after hearing that!

But my mum said that not everyone can survive in that kind of environment, because it is fast-pace, driven, and very result-oriented. The kind of people working there is also like that – fast, driven, all out to produce. The Type A kinds. Someone like my mum can survive, but I know for sure my dad will not be able to survive as he is more laid-back and easy-going.

Thus I am not sure if I can even survive in that kind of environment. However, my boss said he is sure I can survive if in the event I move over because he knows my efficiency and I can produce work. Besides, if my mum can do it, I believe I can as well, since we have the same genes, no?

So now I pray for direction. If it is meant to be, I will pass the interview successfully and move over. If not, I will just stay on and continue with what I am doing, make do with the amount I am getting and hope I can be exposed to new challenges again with the massive expansion and growth of the company.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...