Lilypie

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Conversations With Friends

A friend was asking about my job status last night so I told him currently it is still pending. He said he suppose it is not so urgent for me to switch jobs since I have minimal financial commitments and come from a relatively rich background and do not need to support my parents. What makes him think so? Why must people assume things about me?

My mum is but a wage earner. My dad is running a small business as a sole proprietor, nothing big to speak of. My parents come from very humble origins. There were stories of how my dad had to sleep in the corridor as there were no more rooms for him, and how my mum had to study in the kitchen at night because that was the only place with a light.

Whatever they have now they earned and scrimped and saved. My parents do not go on big shopping sprees, or buy branded stuff, or go high class all the way. They do not buy lottery or dabble in stocks and shares. The only thing they really spend on is the household expenses, on us (my brothers at least), pay for the maid, and travelling (even then they source for the least expensive itineraries). After all the years of slogging, they do deserve a more comfortable life.

I do contribute to the household expenses and I have to give more nowadays because of the loan from my mum. I am trying to save up to get a place of my own after I finish clearing my debts. And I still have my studies to pay for. So what makes anyone think I have no financial commitments? Of course I cannot be compared to those who have a family to support and mortgages and car loans to pay, but do not assume I am totally debt-free as well! So a job with a significant pay increase will definitely come in handy!

Anyway he was telling me he yearns to work in an American company, but the industry he is in has no American company, mostly Japanese. He hates Japanese culture but does not have a choice so he has stuck in his current job for almost a decade. I told him for someone of his rank and experience, he is sure able to find a similar job in a different industry, but he says he does not wish to start over and get a pay cut, because he has loans to pay off.

Well, to each their own. No use griping about lack of opportunities if one is not willing to grab it. Opportunities may come and not sought, but it is also up to one to seize the chance. No use moaning and groaning about the job if one is not willing to adapt to changes or do something about it. I used to wonder why someone of his qualifications and experience is still the same rank after so many years. Now I know. It is the overall mentality and attitude that counts.

Having said that, I was also conversing with an old friend last week. He was rather surprised at me, because he knows about my "colourful" life and failed attempts at seeking love and companionship. He is getting married next year, and I was asking him about his housing status. So I said if I really do not have enough to get a private apartment, I have to wait a few more years until I am of the right age to get a flat.

He was saying why so drastic? I told him in the event I do not get married, I have to plan for myself as well. He was surprised at that, and said what makes me think I will not get married? So I said there does not seem to be any sign of anything for now, and unlikely to have anything in the near future, so I better just focus on myself.

Sounds rather self-centred right? Quite unlike me actually. But after all these years of focusing on others only to be disappointed, it is time to take care of myself first. It is strange as well, that after all these years of wishing to settle down and start a family, now I do not even care whether there is someone in my life, whether I will get married.

Of course, I will still hope to be married, but I am not going to crave for it only to get myself disappointed in the end. I have enough of false starts! Thus if I do not get married, at the end of the day I have to take care of myself, which is why I need to do some planning already!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...