Lilypie

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hardcovers Or Paperbacks?

090909. Coincidentally 10:10 too. Hmmmm.... Perhaps then another year or so later, it will be 101010 and 10:10. Another special moment. And then 111111 at 11:11, and 121212 at 12:12, and so on. These would be rather glorious moments. So far these "glorious" moments have been pretty "glorious" since 2007!

Anyway, I was taking stock of the books I have (what's new?) when I suddenly realise I have more paperbacks than hardcovers. Hardcovers mostly belong to my parents (specifically my dad) whereas mine are mostly paperbacks.

I never realise this, but I prefer paperbacks. When I was young, a book to me is just a book. I did not really ask the difference between a hardback and a paperback, as long as it is readable and enjoyable. But I must say I started with hardbacks, as during my childhood years, most books are hardbacks. I did not have any paperbacks until upper primary.

I first heard the term "pocket book" from one of my former maids. She loves reading, and always ask if she can borrow my "pocket books". I wonder why she called them "pocket books" then she explained because the books (paperbacks) are small enough to fit into one's pocket.

Lately, I stumbled upon Pocket Books, and realise it is actually a publisher of paperback novels, just like Mills and Boon (which has since been acquired by Harlequin Enterprises) is a publisher of paperback romance novels. Personally, believe it or not, I have never read any Mills and Boon books. When I started actively reading, they were no longer in vogue. Mine was the era of Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Paula Danziger, Jeffrey Archer, Sidney Sheldon, Danielle Steel to name a few.

Pocket Books has since been acquired by Simon and Schuster, so the only paperbacks I have are from Penguin, Oxford World Classics, Bantam, Vintage and some other smaller publishers. The only hardcovers I have are my collection of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys published by Grosset & Dunlap.

Which got me thinking - do I prefer hardcovers or paperbacks? The reason why I buy mostly paperbacks is because they are cheap and handy. I can bring them anywhere and everywhere I feel like reading! Hardcovers, on the other hand, are more expensive and bulky and take up more space.

Which is why I prefer paperbacks, but hardcovers are the classic kind of books. Long ago before paperbacks and pocket books were published, hardcovers rule the day. Hardcovers of classic stories are now very collectible items, hence the price tag.

But to me, a book is a book. I read for fun, for pleasure, for passion. It does not matter to me what kind of book as long as the story is good. But for convenience and economical purposes, I much rather get paperbacks, simply because they are cheaper and easier to carry around!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...