Lilypie

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

All Ready For The Move!

I am in the midst of shifting office, so the past few days I had been busy boxing and masking. Come next week, I will be out of the Central Business District again, and moving to some industrial park in the west, where food is scarce and transport is troublesome.

The difference between a multi-national company, albeit a small one, and a local public-listed company, albeit a medium-size one, is the structure.

In my previous place, when we were renovating office, we were not told what to pack and how to pack. Boxes were not provided, and even if they were, it was few and far in between. I remember scrambling around for boxes and incurring lots of wraths from others simply because I needed boxes.

Worse was the other departments conveniently dumped whatever they wanted to offload on my department, and I could not dispose of them as in the event something happened, I did not want to be the one being blamed for throwing away important documents.

Hence I had to end up packing everything in, and ended up with so many boxes that I got blamed when there was no place to store them! And there was not enough masking tape, and no labels were given too, so I had to get tape on my own and label the boxes by hand.

Here, batches of boxes came in, together with markers, masking tape and labels. Anytime we run out, we could order again. So even though I ended up with nineteen boxes (plus four for my personal items on my desk), I never have to scramble around looking for masking tape. The boxes are all properly labelled, and every department and seat has a colour coding so the movers know where to go!

Now this is good organisation! At least it shows that the company's management cares for their staff enough to ensure a smooth move, rather than always just focusing on their own interests and neglects the other departments and staff.

My boss also told me to throw whatever drafts and old correspondence away, as those are not required anymore. He said whatever we have are online via servers and folders, so we can do away with hardcopies. That is good, because it cuts down on the number of things we need to pack. Which is why instead of packing fifty boxes, we only ended up with nineteen for the whole department!

For the past week, I had been packing, since my boss conveniently went on examination leave. Hence when he comes back today, he only needs to clean out his desk, as everything else are now in compact boxes.

The company has kindly given us an off day this Friday to correspond with the move, so come Monday, I will be over at the new office. Then it will be a week of unpacking and sorting out, and that is the part I hate! I absolutely loathe packing (which explains the state of my room), but what to do? If you earn your keep you have to be subjected to whatever your employer wants, so I just have to get it over and done with!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...