Lilypie

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Doing Favours ....

Last Friday, I was meeting my dear for lunch at my office, when we saw this guy wondering around, looking for a building. I pointed out the direction, or rather, the direction I thought. So he went in the direction I pointed, after thanking me.

However, I realised it was the wrong direction, so when we saw the guy again, I told him it was the wrong direction. The building sounds familiar to me, but somehow I could not place it at that moment, although I know it must be somewhere very nearby.

So my dear whipped out his mobile and called the company involved, and got the exact directions. Once I knew where the building is, I told the guy the exact way to get there. He could not stop thanking us and sounded so grateful!

This incident got me thinking - to me, it is just part and parcel of life that we help others out of a jam. Afterall, there will be some lost sheep here and there. To my dear, it is also natural for him to help others out.

But when it comes to someone else, it may not be the case. Like if I was the one who was lost, I would probably not been able to find someone to help, as most of them would be in a hurry. I witnessed how my mum brushed off someone who needed her help when she was in a rush to go somewhere.

But even if we were in a rush, what harm would it to spare a few minutes? Would a few minutes really matter? Unless that few minutes was a matter of life and death, otherwise would those few minutes kill?

I remember once when I experienced something similar. I was with my ex, and he pulled me away as we were rushing for a movie. But honestly, even if I were to help that lost sheep, we would still have made it for the movie as that theatre was screening the whole lot of commercials for the first fifteen minutes or so.

So why can we not stop to smell the roses, and do a small favour? It will not cost us any money, or any life and limb. Is it so hard to do a favour to someone? Or has our society evolved to such a state that we have no time to even lend a helping hand?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...