Lilypie

Monday, November 9, 2009

Meet The Parents!

I have not met anyone's parents for a long time. I mean, I have met some of my friends' parents, but not in that sense. So when I decided to meet his parents last Thursday, I was a nervous freak!

I never have problems with anyone's parents, but then, I am able to relate to Chinese parents due to similar upbringing, so when it comes to parents of another race, it may be different, and the least I want is to screw things up.

Technically, it was not really the first time I have seen his parents. His dad ever gave me a ride before, and I have met his mum in church. But it was the first time I met them officially. I know the basic things, like never go empty-handed, never behave in a rude way, never judge. So I went over with six Indonesian mangoes, where his mum cut it for dessert after dinner and kept thanking me as the mangoes were really sweet!

His mum is a superb cook! I kept praising her food to the sky! After the initial nervousness, things went to normal. After the meal, I wanted to help in clearing the dishes and washed the plates, but he told me not to do it as his parents would prefer I just enjoy and not do anything. So we ended up chatting and resting before his dad brought me home.

It was okay, I think. The next day (Friday), I was invited to his cousin's place for a birthday party, and met his aunt's family. Being Eurasians, the unique feature is that the people look different. Due to the mixture of various races through the generations, some look pure Caucasians, some are more dark-skinned, some look like a mix of Caucasians and locals. Very interesting!

Since it was his cousin's daughter's birthday, I ordered a strawberry shortcake and brought over two more mangoes. His family is very jolly, everyone seems nice and humourous, which kind of releases my tension a bit. I even felt rather at home with them!

And the food is fantastic! It was all home-cooked! The family likes to give parties and host people at their place, cooking their own food, which is what I like to do too! All I need is to get more recipes and start improving my cooking!

I really enjoyed myself, so I believe it was good for a first impression. Hopefully no one has anything negative to say about me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...