Lilypie

Sunday, August 15, 2010

First Day Of The Youth Olympics

I reported for "work" today. My place of duty is at the Mixed Zone - the place where the athletes met the press after the games. The good thing is that I got to see the games close-up for free!

I was assigned to the Fencing event, and today's event was on Men's Sabre and Women's Foil. Because my shift started in the late afternoon, the preliminary rounds were already over, so we got to see the semi-finals and the finals.

The men's semi-finals were South Korea vs Germany and Italy vs Belarus. The South Korea vs Germany match was very exciting, because the tall German guy was leading in the beginning, then after the breather, the short Korean guy suddenly poked and kept poking until he won! When that was over, I had to lead him to the area where the press was waiting to interview him. The poor German rolled miserably on the ground and he was on the verge of tears when interviewed. Because I was standing so close, I could actually snap a picture of the winner, although I should have used a my digicam instead of my phone camera!

The South Korean Fencer

Each fencing match lasted six minutes the most. The next match was Italy vs Belarus, where the cute Italian guy won! Hence the finals would be South Korea vs Italy and Germany vs Belarus would be competing for third place.

The Italian Fencer

Next up were the women's Foil matches. The first match was Italy vs Canada, where the very pretty Italian girl won. Then it was Russia vs Hungary, and the Russian won. So the Italian girl would be competing with the Russian girl in the finals where the Canadian and the Hungarian competing for third place.

The Italian Fencer

I went for my dinner break after that, so missed the matches for the bronze medal, where I heard the German guy and the Hungarian girl won. Luckily, I came back on time to witness the finals.

It was an exciting moment when the South Korean defended with all his might and won the Italian for the first place. When the Italian and Russian girls were sparring, it was also an exciting moment when the Italian won the gold for Women's Foil Fencing. All the reporters then crowded around, but only the broadcast journalists were allowed into the stand, so I had to stop all the "unauthorised" personnel from going in.

The victory ceremony was held ten minutes later. I must really hand it to the athletes that they could shower, change and dry themselves in just a short time, and appear at the stand to take their medals. Each guy was given the Lyo mascot and each girl was given Merly.

When the respective winners took their stand, the national anthem of the champion was played and the flags raised. A silent moment was then observed as everyone looked at the raising flags while the respective national anthem was being played.

Champion for the Men's Sabre Fencing - South Korea (middle),
followed by Italy (left) and Germany (right)

Champion for the Women's Foil Fencing - Italy (middle),
followed by Russia (left) and Hungary
(right)

After the victory ceremony, we had to clean up the area. Then we went down for a break / supper, and after that, everything wrapped up and we could go. My shift was supposed to end at 10:30pm, but we could go around 9:00pm. I went back immediately as I was feeling unwell and needed to go back to rest.

All in all, it was an exciting first day. I am so looking forward to tomorrow, hopefully it will be just as exciting!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...