Lilypie

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Registering For A Social Mission Conference

I have always been interested in doing more for society. I do not mean just writing cheques or donating a large sum of money. In the first place, I do not have the cash to donate. In the second place, anyone can just write cheques hence I find that a tad impersonal.

I am referring to actual mission trips like building homes, taking care of the poor and sick and just outreaching to those that are not as privileged.

I am always envious of the other Christian churches as they are quite big on mission trips. The members of the church make it a point to contribute their time to serve the community, be it locally or overseas. Yet I do not seem to find that in Catholic churches.

However in recent years more and more Catholics are made aware of the church's teachings of charity and justice. Our Archdiocese has a Crisis Coordination Team that helps rebuild homes and shelters after natural disasters.

The public was only made aware of social missions when there was an inaugural Social Mission Conference back in 2008. I did not attend the last session as that point on time, I backslided for a while.

But ever since returning to my faith, I have been thinking about my role as a Christian in general. Being a Christian is not just to attend mass and pray. It is also to serve, and to love. At least for me I feel we should help the less privileged as that would open up our horizons to this who are not as lucky as us.

So when I heard about the Social Mission Conference going to be held this year, I took the opportunity to sign up for it. It will be on 21st August for a full day.

Hopefully the conference will be insightful and inspiring, and will give me some ideas on where and how to serve!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...