Lilypie

Friday, December 5, 2008

Arrogance Or Unapproachable?

What a few days it had been! End of the year, so audit season! As usual, I get quite bewildered at people who have no common sense or do not even bother reading! The document is right in front, all one needs to do is to flip it or scan through it and the answer is right there. Yet I get bombarded with calls asking about justification of this and that when all the terms are in the documents! Can people please read before asking?

Not to mention that due to cost saving, the company is undergoing some kind of restructuring. Thus, some departments will be consolidated, some overseas operations will be merged, so employees get redistributed and take on a new portfolio. We are not even going to have a bonus and increment! Even those European and American car makers are freezing bonuses and pensions! How can anyone freeze a person's pension? How is he going to retire in peace if there is no pension?

I have realised why some are able to rise and some are not able to. For instance, when I talk to a staff more junior than me, he / she will always have no idea what it is I am saying. Then when I go straight to the supervisor in charge, the supervisor is able to give me the information instantly. Maybe that is the difference between someone higher ranking and someone lower ranking. Having said that, there are those with their noses high up in the air, thinking because they are high ranking, they can only mingle with those same rank and above, and not even treat those lower ranking as in existence.

For instance, many lawyers I know are like that. They talk only to lawyers, or practitioners. They never talk to anyone who is a non-practitioner, thus even if the secretaries or executives know the work, they never bother talking to them. Luckily the practitioners I have been working and liaising with are pretty alright. They talk to anyone and everyone, not just someone of the same rank. There is a head of department in my company who is just like that. He never talks to anyone lower ranking than him. Of course, he has to talk to his own staff and the key personnels like the personal assistants to the big bosses. Other than that, he never talks to anyone lower ranking.

Thus when I needed to talk to him to answer a query, I am not able to talk to him. I have to go through his secretary. And then he will tell his secretary to let me know. Then when the document was ready for his approval, I had to go through his secretary. And I indicated to give the document back to me after approval as it was my case, but he bypassed me and gave it to one of the managers because she is higher ranking even though it is not her case. And she has to then pass the whole thing back to me, and wondered why someone gave her my case in the first place! Why not do the easy way and just come to me instead of going through all these channels?

Now, do I have some kind of allergy shield or virus that put people off? If so, then please do let me know! Is it not better to just come straight to the relevant person than passing messages around? Even the Managing Director himself comes to me if he needs information on a case I am working on, instead of asking his secretary to convey the message or anyone else! If the Managing Director himself has no qualms talking to me when he out-rank me by at least four ranks, then why would any head of department, who out-rank me two ranks the most, not willing to talk to me?

Having said that, the interview I went to on Tuesday was not successful, citing reason that even though they like my work experience and knowledge, they feel my character is not suitable. Hmmm... in what sense? That I am too loud? Or I get edgy under stress? I went for another interview today, with the Chief Financial Officer himself. Even someone like him, who kind of runs the whole company on his own, is willing to talk to me, I do not see why others think twice about approaching me! In any case, if the interview goes well today, it will be a new challenge and an exciting role because I will be there to set up the whole department! See how that goes!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...