Lilypie

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Magic ....

Not The Gathering, but the science of illusion. Today, I was one of ten volunteers from my company to chaperone a group of children to the Science Centre for a free and easy tour as well as a magic show. It had been so long since I last went to the Science Centre, in fact, the last time I went there was about two years back when I went for the Star Wars Exhibition. Thus, I am astounded at the number of changes the Science Centre has.

We reached the Science Centre about ten in the morning, and were given a group of kids. There were three volunteers per group, and my group consisted of five teenage girls about eleven to thirteen years. It is livelier to be with younger kids because on one hand, even though they irritate the hell out of you with their endless questions, on the other hand, their innocence is absolutely charming!

They will stick with you and follow you around and just listen to your instructions obediently, whereas older kids have a mind of their own, so I ended up following the girls around instead! Still, there are all obedient and not kick up too much fuss when we had to gather all of them together.

The magic show was at noon, so there was some wandering around before that. I brought the girls to the display of Human Body, Virus, Sound Waves, Ultrasound systems, etc, before we sat down for a thunderbolt display and the magic show after that. It reminded me of my own school days where there were trips to the Science Centre almost every year! If I remember, my parents used to order the "Young Scientist" magazine for me and signed me up as a member of the Science Centre, but I did not utilise what I learnt from there. :-p

The highlight of the trip was the magic show. It was a young magician and he is really good! The tricks and illusions he displayed captivated even the adults, let alone the kids! I seriously wonder how he did all those tricks? But then again, a magician will never reveal the tricks of the trade, although I daresay once we learn the tricks, we would realise that the illusions were really nothing much to be in such a hype about!

Lunch was McDonald's (what else?), so I had my fill of Filet O Fish and apple pie. Since we were volunteers, transport and lunch was provided by the organisers. After lunch, we distributed gifts to the kids. At least they went back happy, and I went back happy too! A worthwhile day indeed, time off from work, hanging out with kids and making others happy at the same time, not to mention free entry into the Science Centre and a spectacular Magic Show. What can be better than this?
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...