Lilypie

Monday, December 15, 2008

School Enrichment Modules

My time table is out! I will be starting school again after Chinese New Year! This time round, due to some revamp, I have lesser modules to take for the semester. Besides one general studies module, I have two minor enrichment modules. The other day my mum was asking just when am I going to finish my course? I wish I can get it over and done with as well, but is it my fault if the school has such a system?

Anyway, in the general studies module, I get to learn more on Art Appreciation, Poetry, Philosophy, History. More enjoyable! Plus, I will be taking an enrichment course on brain functions, mind mapping, creativity and innovation, speed reading (yes, I need that!). The course is mostly online with two sessions of tutorials, but the attendance is not compulsory, as long as we complete the online quizzes and assignments.

The next enrichment course is quite a surprise, as it is called “Thinking With Mathematics”. I cannot believe I have to take Mathematics again! After all the struggles with figures and formulas and the stress of figuring out differentiation, integration and logarithms, I thought I could finally throw it all aside after my ‘O’ levels and concentrate on what I am most passionate about!

At least the course is totally online. No face to face tutorials. It is essentially a practical course on basic formulas of Arithmetic Operations, Fractions, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Averages (mean, median and mode), Graphs, Area and Volume (Square, Rectangle, Triangle and Circle, thank goodness no Prism!), Patterns, Substitution, Scientific Notation, Problems and Review.

Sounds easy right? But for someone who has not done any real mathematics for, like, fifteen years, will take a while to get used to it all over again. At the end of the term, there will be an examination where all the topics will be tested and a score of at least forty percent has to be attained in order to pass. I must ensure I have to do well as everything counts towards the total GPA and if I screw one up, it brings down the total average and there goes my First-Class Honours!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...