Lilypie

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tri-Lo-Gy

Ever since I confirmed my trip, I planned to rent a phone this week as Japan is on full 3G network, and my phone is still not on 3G. In terms of phones, I go for the sleek and classy look rather than technology, thus as long as the phone has normal functions like calling, messaging, checking of mails, auto roaming, photo taking, MMS and GPRS, I do not see the need to have a 3G phone since I do not do video calls or any of the high technology stuff.

My kind of mobile phone has to be a clamshell, as that is smaller, lighter and sleeker than the normal phones. Which is why I am using a Samsung after the series of Nokias and Motorolas, as I find them too fat and bulky for me. Samsung phones are pretty good. I have been using this model for almost two years and it has never given me any cause for complaint.

The camera is good enough to take photos. There is quite a lot of storage space. The font is nice and good, the display is colourful and the LCD screen on the front flap doubles up as a makeup mirror as well. I can check emails and send MMS on it. There is even infra red and bluetooth, so I do not need a USB cable at all! Best is it is the same size as my palm, so it stays in my hand snugly, and my hands are already pretty small even for a lady! That is the kind of phone I like – small yet classy! Even if I am to carry a small clutch bag or evening bag, it is still small enough to fit inside a small handbag!

The only gripe is that it does not have enough storage for messages, thus after three hundred messages (Inbox, Drafts and Sent Items inclusive), I have to start deleting to make space for new incoming messages or to send messages. It also does not have enough storage for a phonebook, so after two hundred and fifty contacts, I have to start screening whose number to delete in order to make way for new contacts.

Hence I am pretty happy with my phone and was not intending to change anytime soon. Plus last year, my family members managed to get new phones, but they were more comfortable with their old phones so gave all the new ones to me. Thus I inherited quite a lot of phones last year, including the Samsung 3.5G HSDPA phone, Nokia N76 and Moto Razr. So I was not lacking of any phones.

However, since I was a little short of cash a few months back, I decided to sell all the phones away. Yes, I sold away the N76 without using it, which was a stupid decision and I regretted it, but at that point in time, I was desperate. At times like these, one has to assess which is more important – to have a cool phone for future use or to get rid of unnecessary things to tide things over.

I made quite a loss selling away all the phones, but at least it was enough to tide me over for another month or so. Recently, I wanted to see if I could get the N76 back, but unfortunately, the model was already off the market and there were no more around. Too bad. :-( So I called my service provider intending to rent a phone.

I had to wait until tomorrow in order to rent a phone so I would not incur more charges, and was happily waiting until I came across this phone. The Nokia 6600 Fold 3G version. Another cool, sleek, small clamshell phone. What is even better is that my line is due for an upgrade anyway, so I only need to renew the contract and get the phone at a very big discount, with a complimentary 3G SIM card thrown in! Plus if I order from the online shop, delivery charges will be waived too!

What can be better than that? I need a 3G phone anyway, because if I am to rent a local phone in Japan, I cannot call overseas, and what if my parents are trying to get me? At least I need to be able to send messages overseas in order to let my mum know I have arrived safely. Besides, the local phone rental may not necessarily cost any less than just getting a new phone.

So even though I was not intending to get a new phone, at times, when one comes across a good deal, one should just strike while the iron is hot. My new phone just arrived earlier, and even though it is slightly heavier than my current one, it is just as small and sleek. Another “palm top”. At least the extra phone can last me for another few years or so before it is due for another upgrade!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...