Lilypie

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Trying To Stretch Every Dollar

I have been too comfortable, that I admit. In the past when I went travelling, it is mostly with my parents. Most of the time they paid for me when I was younger, then in recent years when I started working, I started paying on my own. Still, I just gave a lump sum to my mum and she would handle everything. Even then, it was only on air fare and accommodation, meals were all provided for as my parents paid for all. Whatever souvenirs I wanted to get would be on my own expense.

Whenever we come back from a trip, my mum would do the accounts and see how much we spent in all, then averaging it out with the number of persons on the trip. She always manages to meet her budget. In fact, we always had extra left, which she would then return me accordingly. So when I first went on a trip with friends, I had no idea how much exactly to take along.

That was only a short weekend trip to Bintan, and since all of us had just started working, we did not have that much to spare. Thus we went economical all the way – the cheapest ferry, the cheapest lodging. The only thing we indulged on was the spa treatment and the drinks at night, right on the beach, under the stars. Even then, each of us spent less than S$500.00 for the whole journey.

Which is why when I was budgeting for this Japan trip, I had to take into account just how much is needed. I am never a figures person, so it is quite a headache trying to account for everything. The advantage is that I am travelling with people who are certified accountants, thus I really learnt a lot from them how to go about accounting for everything. All the more since I am the youngest, so I really look up to them.

Now I am at the age and status where I am supposed to have more assets finances wise (but for the recent trouble), not to mention the rest of them are earning far more than me, thus they are going to indulge all the way! If I had not recently cleared my debts, I would definitely have much more to spare, but right now, I need to keep a tighter budget.

Maybe some of you may think I should not be going on this trip, but after slogging away for the whole year, then scrimping and saving just to minus away my liabilities, now that I am finally done with all these, I believe I ought to have a break. A break to start anew, to let go and forget all the troubles incurred during the year. To usher in the new year with new hopes and dreams. If I can afford a trip, definitely I have worked out my sums, except I cannot afford to indulge as much as I would like to. I am not that ditsy!

The itinerary is that I will go to Tokyo on the twenty-third, stay overnight, then take a domestic flight to Hakodate in Southern Hokkaido on Christmas Eve to meet up with the rest of them, go to Noboribetsu on Christmas Day for two days, go on to Sapporo after that for two days, then go to Niseko thereafter to spend the New Year, before returning to Sapporo on the third, where we may spend one day in Otaru, then go back to Tokyo and back home.

Thus, instead of staying in a hotel in Tokyo, I will be camping over in the airport. Instead of taking the limousine bus to the domestic airport, I am going to lug my luggage and take a train all the way. I will not be doing any shopping in Tokyo (a waste, I know, but there will be other chances). All these can save at least 20000 Yen. Afterall, I will only be sort of transiting in Tokyo, not there for a tour per se.

Next time when I can more afford it, I will then probably tour around Honshu island, but right now, the focus is more on Hokkaido, hot springs and skiing. With the budget I worked out, I rather indulge more in the Christmas and New Year festivities in Hokkaido, the nice fresh seafood, the better sight-seeing places and also to buy my pen-pal and her son dinner when she comes over from Yokohama to meet me upon my return to Tokyo. Hopefully I can stretch every dollar as far as it goes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...