Lilypie

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Packing For Winter

Some time ago, Sumiko Tan wrote in her article that she can never understand how some people manage to look so good and perky even after travelling long distance overnight. She herself looks like a fright after an overnight flight. I share her sentiments too. In the first place, is it really feasible to be dressed in a trench coat, knee-length boots and sunglasses, with hair in place and makeup in tact, and not a single thread out of place after sitting down in a plane on a red eye flight?

Movies and dramas always show how glamourous people look after a long plane trip but that is just a show. Chances are those people never did take a plane overnight, and they went to shoot the scene after makeup and hair artists worked on them. Plus there are lots of touch ups after that, so people will look glamourous on screen.

In real life, can this really be the case? It is hard to be really comfortable on a plane, and I, for one, can never get much shut eye even if it is a night flight. With tossing and turning and having the seat belt on most of the time, I will normally emerge out of a plane with my hair in a mess and dark circles under my eyes.

Thus I go for comfort rather than fashion. I wear my most comfortable track suit and walking shoes. With the narrow aisle and small leg room in an Economy seat, it is madness to wear high heels or boots. Makeup for me is a necessity as the cabin air dries up my skin, thus I go for large servings of moisturizers and lip glosses anytime, but after a meal, drinks and a few hours on a plane, my makeup comes out looking distorted rather than immaculate.

Which is why I am having quite a headache packing for my Japan trip. The temperature ranges from less than ten to below zero, so whatever long-sleeves and coat I normally wear and bring to temperate countries will not suffice, as there is a big difference in temperatures above zero and below zero. This time round, I need cashmere and wool. No dresses or skirts, only pants. Even jeans may not help.

Luckily I managed to find some thermal pants which can help if my legs need to keep warm. I will just have to wear a pair of normal pants or jeans over them. As for the top, in order not to be wrapped up like a dumpling, I have to wear cashmere or wool. Luckily, I have a couple of cashmere sweaters and my mum loaned me some wool cardigans and turtlenecks.

Thus, I will be wearing mostly turtlenecks and pants, with the fur-lined suede jacket I bought in Mango a few years back, and perhaps a trench coat. Shoes wise it will be a pair of normal boots, suitable for snow walking. As for my vanity case, I am putting in extra moisturisers and stronger creams, so as not to start peeling while overseas, especially in winter. Now I only hope it will be easy to walk about with all those clothes on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...