Lilypie

Friday, October 29, 2010

Bookwork Deluxe : Eat, Pray, Love

The first time I heard of this book, I thought the story reflects me. After all, the three words can easily describe me - eat, pray and love. So when I first saw that this would be turned into a movie and starring none other than Julia Roberts, I told myself it would be a movie worth watching!

And I am not wrong. The movie captures the essence of the book. Not many book-to-movie films actually capture the essence of the book, but this one did so successfully. Hence reviewing the book is just like reviewing the movie.

The author Elizabeth Gilbert wrote about the down period in her life - after a divorce, loss of her money and not enough jobs were forthcoming. So she decided to take a year off to "discover" herself so to speak.

She spent a few months in Italy, eating, enjoying life, learning Italian and drooling over cute Italian guys, while making some friends in the process. She spent another few months in India, trying to "find" herself, mediating. She met the guy Richard from Texas who taught her about life and mediation, and about life's problems. She then spend the remaining months in Bali, learning from her guru and meeting a dream South American hunk in the process.

Even though my experiences are not that similar to hers (for one, I have never been married), but I can understand her struggles. Many a times, people (men or women) have reached a crossroads. They go by life just within the motions, not really caring whether they are truly happy or not.

Only the really brave ones are able to break out of the monotony and wants a change for himself and herself. That will be when he / she starts discovering him / herself. Like Elizabeth, some may go travelling for some journey of self-discovery. If I can afford to take a year off, I do not mind doing what she did too!

In any case, this book is a pretty good read. I have not really come across any of Elizabeth Gilbert's books, but this seems to be her best book by far. The movie is not that far off too. Now I am looking forward to reading the sequel to this book which she recently published this year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...