Lilypie

Friday, October 29, 2010

Once A School Geek ....

The movie “You Again” kind of reminds me of my own school days. How many of us emerge out of school without any hurdles? Some of us were the geeks – the ones that were constantly being taunted, and some of us were the tormentors – the popular ones where everyone looked up to.

The main character in the movie reminds me of myself. I, too, wore thick glasses with straggly hair. I, too, was plain with no fashion sense. Not only that, I was short and dark with a deep voice. Actually, I am still short, dark, with a deep voice, plain and with no fashion sense.

In any case, the main character of the movie became confident, started wearing contacts and became one of the top Public Relations executives in her firm. Just like her, I also became confident (although I took a much longer time), started wearing contacts and having a better dress sense.

Then she was called back home to attend her brother’s wedding, only to find out that her sister-in-law-to-be is the very school belle who tormented her back in high school, and yet the latter seemed to have no recollection of the whole incident. She started being her insecure self again, trying to show her up and warning her brother of the true colours of his bride-to-be.

I can so relate to that! The series of nicknames I had back in school, the way I looked in school, the way my mum controlled me where the rest of my classmates basically could do whatever they pleased, made me a not-so-popular girl. Hence, after secondary school, I decided to revamp myself. I started wearing contacts to rid myself of my glasses. I started putting on makeup. I started growing my hair again. I started having a better dress sense (or at least tried to have a better dress sense).

What was worse was that I wanted to forget about those "unglory" days so much that I cut myself off from my school mates, so much so that I missed all the reunions as I thought I would be so awkward in front of them. I even went so far as to hate my younger pictures as they reminded me of the "geek" I was. Some of those old schoolmates have found me on Facebook, whereas there are others I added on my own accord but we never spoke to each other.

Now after all these years, the childhood “trauma” seems to have been overcome a little. Whenever I come across a familiar name in Facebook and tried to add the person, I always wondered if the person would add me. And added me she did. But still, I was worried she would remember me as the quiet, mousey, whiny girl who could not go out after school and could only go home and be a “good little girl”, when I so much wanted to be the life of the party. And up to now, I still refuse to look at my younger photos.

Still, everyone grows up. It seems as if whatever grudges I thought people bore me, no one remembered that. We just managed to get re-connected with no hint of anger, bitterness and pettiness. Hence, if the rest have forgotten about the past, why should I bother? How many of us have not done naughty things in the past? Why should we then bother to dig it up when we are living a pretty satisfactory life right now?

The only thing one can do is to keep looking forward towards the future. Whatever is past, is past. What matters is the present and the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...