Lilypie

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bookwork Deluxe : Single Picky Girl

I recently finished this book by a local writer called "Single Picky Girl". She started out working at Singapore Press Holdings, then decided to fly, then quitted flying to go into journalism, then went into Corporate Communications.

Her book is a collection of articles from some of our local newspapers, talking about men, being single, life, love, lust, in general. In a way, she reminds me of my favourite journalist Sumiko Tan, who also used to rave and rant about being single until she finally got hitched recently, and now raving and ranting about married life and getting used to having another person in her house.

When I was reading this book, I came to the realisation that her articles are ordinary. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying she is not a good writer; she is. But her writing is just ordinary. She is not yet in the calibre of Sumiko Tan, nor Colin Goh, nor Adrian Tan even. In fact, I think my writing is just as good, so if she can publish a book, why can I not? I do not think my life experiences are anyway less than hers!

I am not being a green-eyed monster here, but all I am trying to say is that, she gives me hope to want to publish a collection of stories too. If she can use her columns to make into a book, then I daresay my blog has much more material I can use, especially those in my early days when I was still a whiny emotional person where my heart overruled all.

Still, her book makes enjoyable reading. Ordinary, but lifelike. I am sure many can relate to her, in their pursuit of love and life in general.

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

She probably had the money to self publish her own book. Anyone can do it provided you have your own funds.

K said...

Is there really such a word as "quitted"?? I've always thot that there was no past tense for "quit".

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...