Lilypie

Monday, October 11, 2010

Witnessing With The Love Of God

And that was the theme for the recently concluded Conference. We had four sessions of the "Witnessing With The Love of God" presentations, starting from Thursday evening, all the way until the late afternoon of Friday.

Essentially, the entire theme was on how to control our emotions and managing our anger. Anger itself is not a sin, but not doing anything about it or letting it control us is a sin. Every human being gets angry, but whether we get angry and then find peace, or whether we get angry and escalate it into revenge, it is on how we manage our own anger.

The presenters also gave us a book each, as our journals, on noting down who had made us angry and what we felt, what we could do. This made me wonder - there are many angry people in the world, but not everyone know how to manage their anger.

Some people manage their anger by bursting out at everyone and anyone. But they are usually harmless, because once they have an outburst, things are back to normal. It is their way of letting out.

Some people write down everything and every emotion. This is their way of letting out. Personally I find this method the best. I used to be a very angry person too. I thought the whole world was against me. I was insecure, negative, whiny, and took everything personally.

I hope I have grown out of that stage. Of course, there are still times when I am emotional, but who is not? But I realise that because I started this blog more than five years back, I could write down anything and everything, expressing myself without any reservation, that I actually grew from there. When I have written down, I could go back and take a look from a different perspective, and it really helped me to grow.

Now I can say I have stopped being so whiny and negative. I think I am more confident than before, more outspoken than before, and have the guts to say it as I see it, instead of hiding everything. I dare not say it is because of my blog that I change so much, but I daresay it somehow contributes a bit to who I am now, instead of who I was before.

Hence, writing is a very powerful tool. The pen is really mightier than the sword. Which is why I still do not wish to stop writing, as I have seen for myself how by penning down my issues, I am able to overcome them and become a better person.

In any case, the sessions concentrated on anger, emotions, writing down our feelings, thinking of people who have offended us in one way or another, and the final one - forgiveness. It is not hard being angry with someone, but it is very hard to forgive someone.

And that is the essence of the whole theme - on forgiveness. That we forgive whoever who had been making us angry, whoever we had issues with, whoever who had offended us, that we forgive and help them through. Because the moment we are able to actually forgive someone, we will no longer have a thorn in our hearts and really achieve peace.

And that is the greatest gift which God wants to give us - being able to forgive and have peace within ourselves, and with others. This is a lesson which I will never forget. In fact, this whole Conference has inspired me so much that I could even wake up so early just to attend mass! It has kind of renewed my faith a bit and I hope to be able to walk further with God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...