Lilypie

Monday, January 7, 2013

A Disappearing Sight ...

Some time ago, I read about this place which I did not even realise exist, especially in a country like mine! I was immediately intrigued and have wanted to explore the place since then. Last Saturday, I finally had the opportunity to go to this old-fashioned zinc-roofed canteen. The place is situated right outside an army camp, and en route, one can pass by one of the last few remaining roundabouts left here, called Piccadilly Circus, probably in tribute to the colonial days.
 
I got down from the bus at the entrance and walked in, all the way up. Then I realise the bus actually brings me into the premises, right outside the main entrance of the camp itself, so I did not actually need to walk so far. Now I know. The canteen is situated behind the bus stop. There are several signs to indicate where the canteen is, so one would not get lost.

 The sign just after the bus stop, indicating the direction of the canteen
 
 Carpark right in front of the canteen
 
 The facade of the canteen
 
 Beyond this zinc wall is the coffee stall
 
 The seats outside the canteen
 
 Main entrance of the canteen
 
There are several stalls in the canteen, namely the main coffee stall that sells, well, coffee, tea, drinks and snacks, the Malay stall that sells their own specialty, and the Chinese stall that sells its own mixed rice specialty. I was hungry and the food from the Malay stall looks appetizing, so I bought a plate of fried vermicelli (dried mee siam), with fried egg and chicken wing, as well as a glass of iced milk tea. Delicious, and cheap too!
 

 Interior of the canteen
 


 My plate of fried vermicelli with egg and chicken wing. Cost me only S$1.70 for the whole set, very cheap in today's context.
 
 Giant iced milk tea at double the size and half the price as what is sold outside
 


 Exterior of the canteen
 
 More signs. If one still get lost, then one ought to kick himself.
 


Seeing the structure of the canteen, it kind of reminds me of Malaysia, as one does not see this kind of eatery anywhere anymore. Thank goodness for the numerous heritage blogs that keeps things like this alive and known!
 
All in all, the experience was not bad. Good food at a remarkable price. The only thing I feel uncomfortable about is that, save for the stall owners and workers, I was the only female customer. The rest of the customers are either army guys or construction workers. Hence when I went in and found a place, I could literally feel everyone's eyes one me, making me really uncomfortable!
 
Unfortunately, this last old-fashioned canteen will probably make way soon for the new aerospace hub that is already undergoing construction at the premises. When that happens, modern eateries will replace this, and it will be another sight of the past that will disappear from our shores for good. I only hope the authorities conserve this place, because this is one really good place for education and enjoyment about my country's past.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...