Lilypie

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Transcribing ...

Recently I have been taking on some freelance work as a transcriber. What I need to do is that I was given an audio recording of a focus group discussion, then I had to transcribe verbatim, word for word, what was being said and discussed.
 
It sounds like an easy job, but it is not. Firstly, the audio recording is quite muffled, and certain parts are hard to catch. Secondly, because the people involved in the focus group discussion were randomly chosen, so they have their own way of speaking and accents. Thirdly, in many cases, everyone started talking together, so it is hard to catch what everyone was saying. And lastly, they were mostly speaking in local lingo, so it could be a real pain to listen and hear.
 
Still, it was pretty interesting with regards to the discussion going on. I learnt a lot from the audio recording too, and even though it was a painful process trancribing every word exactly the way it was being said, I had a great sense of achievement when I was done!
 
So far I have been given two transcripts. Not sure if I did a good enough job to warrant more assignments though. Hopefully I can then I can earn a bit more cash at the same time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...