Lilypie

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pay Or Pal?

Ever since my Paypal account was hacked a few years back, it was suspended. Hence, any other transactions that needed to be paid by Paypal, I preferred to use card or pay without signing in. Recently, I bought some things online. Unfortunately, all needed a Paypal account to complete the transaction, which means I had to sign in. Because my account is still being suspended, I had no choice but to register another account with Paypal.
 
I thought that was it, but then I realise after the first transaction, my card could not be used anymore, until I verify it. I had to authorise Paypal to charge US$3.00 to my card for verification. After that, I had to call up my bank and asked for the security number, and the US$3.00 would then be refunded to me once I entered the security number to verify my card.
 
This went well until one of the transactions said my name and address is already on record, and I am not allowed to have more than one Paypal account. After all the hassle of getting my card verified and my transactions approved, now this?!
 
So I called Paypal and told them the whole situation. I must say, I am pretty impressed with the customer service officers! They are polite, professional, patient and speak relatively good English to say the least! They understood my situation and re-activated my original account. They told me once all my transactions cleared, I can have my new account shut down.
 
The next hassle is that because my card was verified on my new account, I have to verify my card again on my original account. Which means the USD$3.00 will be charged again, and I have to call my bank again, and get the security code again, and then the amount will be refunded again. It is like a full circle!
 
I find that really troublesome because my card is already authorised and verified, so why must I do the same process again when it is already established that my name and address is on record, so there is no doubt that the account and card belongs to me?
 
The customer service officer told me that it is a security precaution. Yeah right, if it is indeed a security precaution, then why is Paypal one of the most hacked accounts in the world? Afterall my account was suspended because it was hacked into in the first place! If that is really a security precaution, then all these would have been prevented, is it not? How secure can the precaution be then, if others can access your account in the first place?!
 
Still, it was a pretty pleasant experience talking to the customer service officer. Even though their answers are not that satisfactory, their professionalism is tops. I do not normally commend customer service officers, but Paypal's customer service is really good! Kudos to them!
 
So is the whole Paypal system more for paying, or more of a pal? Despite all these hassle, it is still the top payment transaction program in the world. One really wonders why, when it is causing so much grief to the consumers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...